vietnam travel top Vietnam is a country that has a lot to offer for travelers who want to discover the beauty, culture, and history of Southeast Asia. Vietnam has a diverse and stunning landscape, from the mountains and the rice terraces in the north, to the beaches and the islands in the south. Vietnam also has a rich and fascinating history, from the ancient kingdoms and the colonial era, to the modern development and the war legacy. Vietnam also has a vibrant and diverse culture, with 54 ethnic groups, various religions, and delicious cuisine.
With so much to see and do in Vietnam, it can be hard to choose where to go and what to experience. That’s why I have compiled this list of the best places to visit in Vietnam, based on my personal experience and research. These are the places that I think are the most beautiful, interesting, and memorable in Vietnam. Of course, this list is not exhaustive or definitive, and you may have your own preferences and opinions. But I hope this list will give you some ideas and inspiration for your Vietnam travel top.
Hanoi is the capital and the cultural heart of Vietnam. It is a city of contrasts, where you can find old colonial buildings, modern skyscrapers, peaceful lakes, chaotic traffic, and colorful markets. Hanoi is also a great place to experience the local cuisine, with street food stalls offering a variety of dishes such as pho (noodle soup), bun cha (grilled pork and noodles), and banh mi (sandwich). vietnam travel top
Some of the top attractions in Hanoi are:
- Hoan Kiem Lake: This is the iconic landmark of Hanoi, where you can see the Turtle Tower and the Ngoc Son Temple on an island in the middle of the lake. You can also walk around the lake or join the locals in doing tai chi or playing chess. vietnam travel top
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum: This is the final resting place of Ho Chi Minh, the leader of the Vietnamese revolution and the founder of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam. You can see his embalmed body inside a glass case, but be prepared to queue and follow the strict rules of dress and behavior.
- Temple of Literature: This is the oldest university in Vietnam, dating back to the 11th century. It was dedicated to Confucius and his disciples, and later became a place of learning for the mandarins. You can admire the architecture and the gardens, and see the stone steles with the names of the graduates. vietnam travel top
- Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre: This is a traditional art form that originated in the rural areas of Vietnam. You can watch a show of wooden puppets performing on a water stage, accompanied by live music and narration.
Halong Bay is one of the most famous and beautiful natural wonders in Vietnam. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with thousands of limestone islands and caves rising from the emerald water. The best way to enjoy Halong Bay is to take a cruise, which usually includes:
- Kayaking or bamboo boat ride: You can paddle around the islands and explore the hidden lagoons and caves. You might also see some wildlife such as monkeys, birds, and fish. vietnam travel top
- Visiting a floating village: You can see how the local people live and work on their boats and houses on the water. You can also learn about their culture and traditions.
- Swimming or relaxing on the beach: You can take a dip in the clear water or sunbathe on the sandy beach. You can also enjoy the sunset and the stars at night. vietnam travel top
- Overnight on board: You can sleep in a comfortable cabin with a private bathroom and air conditioning. You can also enjoy the meals and entertainment provided by the crew.
Hue is the former imperial capital of Vietnam, and a city of history and culture. Hue has many monuments and relics from the Nguyen Dynasty, the last royal family of Vietnam. Hue is also known for its cuisine, which is influenced by the royal and Buddhist traditions.
Some of the top attractions in Hue are:
- The Citadel: This is the complex of palaces, temples, and fortifications that served as the seat of power for the Nguyen emperors. You can see the impressive gates, walls, and moats, as well as the Throne Hall, the Royal Theater, and the Forbidden Purple City. vietnam travel top
- Thien Mu Pagoda: This is the oldest and most famous pagoda in Hue, located on a hill overlooking the Perfume River. It has a seven-story tower, a giant bell, and a car that belonged to a monk who immolated himself in protest against the South Vietnamese regime.
- Tombs of the Emperors: These are the mausoleums of the Nguyen emperors, each with its own style and architecture. You can visit some of them, such as Tu Duc Tomb, Khai Dinh Tomb, and Minh Mang Tomb. vietnam travel top
- Dong Ba Market: This is the largest and busiest market in Hue, where you can find everything from fresh produce to souvenirs. You can also try some local specialties, such as bun bo hue (spicy beef noodle soup), banh beo (steamed rice cakes), and banh khoai (crispy pancakes).
Hoi An is a charming town that was once a major trading port in Southeast Asia. Hoi An is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with well-preserved buildings and streets that reflect the influence of Chinese, Japanese, French, and Vietnamese cultures. Hoi An is also known for its lanterns, tailors, and cuisine.
Some of the top attractions in Hoi An are:
- Japanese Covered Bridge: This is the symbol of Hoi An, a wooden bridge that was built by the Japanese merchants in the 16th century. It has a small temple inside and a statue of a dog and a monkey at each end. vietnam travel top
- Old Houses: These are the houses that belonged to the wealthy merchants and traders in Hoi An. You can visit some of them, such as Tan Ky House, Phung Hung House, and Quan Thang House, and see the architecture and furniture that reflect their owners’ origins and status.
- Assembly Halls: These are the buildings that were used by the Chinese communities in Hoi An for worship and social activities. You can visit some of them, such as Fujian Assembly Hall, Cantonese Assembly Hall, and Chaozhou Assembly Hall, and see the altars, statues, and decorations. vietnam travel top
- Night Market: This is a market that opens in the evening along the riverfront. You can find a variety of goods, such as lanterns, souvenirs, clothes, and food. You can also enjoy the atmosphere and the lights of the lanterns.
Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City is the largest and most dynamic city in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Saigon) is a city of contrasts, where you can find skyscrapers, shopping malls, temples, museums, and markets. Ho Chi Minh City is also a great place to experience the nightlife, with bars, clubs, and restaurants.
Some of the top attractions in Ho Chi Minh City are:
- Reunification Palace: This is the former residence and office of the president of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. It was also the site of the end of the war, when a tank crashed through its gate in 1975. You can see the rooms and exhibits that display the history and events of that period. vietnam travel top
- War Remnants Museum: This is a museum that showcases the effects and consequences of the Vietnam War on both sides. You can see the exhibits of weapons, vehicles, photos, and documents, as well as the stories of the victims and survivors.
- Notre Dame Cathedral: This is a Catholic church that was built by the French colonists in the 19th century. It has a neo-Romanesque style, with two towers and a statue of the Virgin Mary in front. It is a popular place for weddings and photos. vietnam travel top
- Central Post Office: This is a post office that was designed by Gustave Eiffel, the architect of the Eiffel Tower. It has a grand facade and a spacious interior, with a large map of Vietnam and a portrait of Ho Chi Minh. You can send postcards or buy souvenirs here.
- Ben Thanh Market: This is the most famous and busiest market in Ho Chi Minh City, where you can find everything from clothes, accessories, electronics, to food, drinks, and souvenirs. You can also bargain with the vendors and try some local dishes. vietnam travel top
The Mekong Delta is the region where the Mekong River splits into nine branches before reaching the sea. The Mekong Delta is known for its lush greenery, fertile land, and diverse culture. You can take a boat tour or a bike tour to explore the area and visit some attractions, such as:
- Floating Markets: These are markets that take place on the water, where the sellers and buyers use boats to trade their goods. You can see the colorful boats loaded with fruits, vegetables, flowers, and other products, and buy some snacks or drinks from them. vietnam travel top
- Coconut Island: This is an island that is famous for its coconut products, such as candy, oil, wine, and crafts. You can see how they are made and taste some samples.
- Vinh Trang Pagoda: This is a Buddhist temple that has a mixture of Vietnamese, Chinese, and Cambodian styles. It has three giant statues of Buddha in different poses: reclining, standing, and laughing.
- Cai Rang Bridge: This is a bridge that offers a panoramic view of the Mekong River and the surrounding countryside. You can stop at the bridge and take some photos or watch the sunset. vietnam travel top
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island is the largest and most beautiful island in Vietnam. Phu Quoc Island is a paradise for beach lovers, with crystal clear water, white sand, and palm trees. You can also enjoy the nature, the seafood, and the nightlife on the island.
Some of the top attractions on Phu Quoc Island are:
- Snorkeling or diving: You can explore the underwater world of Phu Quoc Island, with colorful coral reefs and marine life. You can also see some shipwrecks and caves. vietnam travel top
- Fishing or squid fishing: You can join a fishing tour or rent a boat and try your luck at catching some fish or squid. You can also cook and eat your catch on board or at the shore.
- Visiting a pearl farm: You can see how pearls are cultivated and harvested on Phu Quoc Island. You can also buy some pearl jewelry or souvenirs. vietnam travel top
- Visiting a pepper farm: You can see how pepper is grown and processed on Phu Quoc Island. You can also buy some pepper products or souvenirs.
- Visiting a national park: You can hike or bike in the Phu Quoc National Park, which covers more than half of the island. You can see the forest, the mountains, the waterfalls, and the wildlife. vietnam travel top
Vietnam is a country that has a lot to offer for travelers who want to explore its beauty, culture, and history. In this blog post, I have shared with you the best places to visit in Vietnam, based on my personal experience and research. These are the places that I think are the most beautiful, interesting, and memorable in Vietnam. Of course, this list is not exhaustive or definitive, and you may have your own preferences and opinions. But I hope this list will give you some ideas and inspiration for your Vietnam travel top. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Thank you for reading and happy travels! 🙏