vietnam travel tips 2023 is a beautiful and diverse country that offers something for everyone. Whether you are looking for stunning natural scenery, rich cultural heritage, delicious cuisine, or vibrant nightlife, you will find it in Vietnam. However, traveling to Vietnam can also be challenging, especially if you are not familiar with the local customs, language, and culture. That’s why we have prepared this guide to help you plan your perfect trip to Vietnam in 2023. Here are some of the most important tips you need to know before you go.
Choose the Best Time to Visit Vietnam vietnam travel tips 2023
Vietnam has a tropical climate with four distinct seasons: spring (February to April), summer (May to August), autumn (September to November), and winter (December to January). The weather can vary significantly depending on the region and the altitude. Generally speaking, the north is cooler and drier than the south, and the central coast is prone to typhoons and heavy rains from September to December. The best time to visit Vietnam depends on your preferences and itinerary, but here are some general guidelines:
- If you want to enjoy the best weather throughout the country, visit Vietnam in spring or autumn. These seasons are usually sunny and pleasant, with moderate temperatures and low humidity. You can also witness some of the most colorful festivals in Vietnam during these months, such as Tet (Lunar New Year) in February, Hoi An Lantern Festival in March, Hue Festival in April, Mid-Autumn Festival in September, and Hanoi Flower Festival in October. vietnam travel tips 2023
- If you want to avoid the crowds and save money on accommodation and flights, visit Vietnam in winter or summer. These seasons are considered low season in Vietnam, as they are either too cold or too hot for most travelers. However, if you don’t mind the weather extremes, you can still enjoy some of the attractions and activities in Vietnam during these months. For example, you can explore the snow-capped mountains and ethnic villages in Sapa in winter, or relax on the pristine beaches and islands in Phu Quoc or Nha Trang in summer.
- If you want to experience the diversity of Vietnam’s climate and geography, visit Vietnam anytime of the year. You can always find a region that suits your preferences and expectations. For example, if you want to escape the heat of the south, you can head to the cooler highlands of Dalat or Ba Na Hills. If you want to enjoy some sunshine and warmth in the north, you can visit Halong Bay or Cat Ba Island. If you want to experience both the tropical and temperate zones of Vietnam, you can travel along the Ho Chi Minh Trail or the North-South Railway.
Apply for a Visa or an E-Visa
Vietnam requires most foreign visitors to obtain a visa before entering the country. There are two ways to apply for a visa: through a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your home country, or online through an e-visa system. The visa process can take from a few days to a few weeks depending on your nationality and method of application. Here are some of the differences between a visa and an e-visa: vietnam travel tips 2023
- A visa is a sticker that is affixed to your passport by a Vietnamese diplomatic mission. You need to fill out an application form, submit your passport and other documents, pay a fee, and wait for approval. A visa can be valid for up to one year and allow multiple entries into Vietnam. vietnam travel tips 2023
- An e-visa is an electronic document that is issued by the Vietnamese immigration authority. You need to fill out an online form, upload your photo and passport scan, pay a fee, and receive an approval email with a code. An e-visa can be valid for up to 30 days and allow single entry into Vietnam.
The e-visa system is more convenient and faster than the visa system, but it is only available for citizens of 80 countries as of 2021. You can check if your country is eligible for an e-visa here: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt
If your country is not eligible for an e-visa or if you need a longer or multiple-entry visa, you will need to apply for a visa through a Vietnamese embassy or consulate. vietnam travel tips 2023
Alternatively, you can also apply for a visa on arrival (VOA) if you are traveling by air. A VOA is a pre-approved letter that allows you to get a visa stamp at one of the international airports in Vietnam. You need to apply for a VOA online through a reputable travel agency before your departure. A VOA can be valid for up to 90 days and allow single or multiple entries into Vietnam.
However, keep in mind that a VOA is not an official visa document and it does not guarantee your entry into Vietnam. You still need to pay a stamping fee at the airport and go through immigration checks. A VOA may also take longer time and cause more hassle than an e-visa or a visa. vietnam travel tips 2023
Therefore, we recommend that you apply for an e-visa or a visa whenever possible. vietnam travel tips 2023
Book Your Flights and Accommodation
Vietnam has several international airports that connect with major cities around the world. The main ones are:
- Noi Bai International Airport (HAN) in Hanoi vietnam travel tips 2023
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN) in Ho Chi Minh City
- Da Nang International Airport (DAD) in Da Nang
- Cam Ranh International Airport (CXR) in Nha Trang
- Phu Quoc International Airport (PQC) in Phu Quoc
You can find cheap flights to Vietnam from various airlines such as Vietjet Air, Bamboo Airways, Jetstar Pacific Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, AirAsia, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Qatar Airways, and more.
You can also use online platforms such as Skyscanner, Kayak, Expedia, or Google Flights to compare prices and find the best deals.
When booking your flights, consider factors such as: vietnam travel tips 2023
- The seasonality of demand and supply
- The duration of your trip
- The number of stops and layovers
- The baggage allowance and fees
- The cancellation and change policies
You should also book your accommodation in advance to secure your preferred location and price. Vietnam has a wide range of accommodation options from budget hostels and homestays to luxury hotels and resorts. You can use online platforms such as Booking.com, Agoda, Airbnb, or Hostelworld to find and book your accommodation.
When booking your accommodation, consider factors such as: vietnam travel tips 2023
- The location and accessibility
- The amenities and facilities
- The reviews and ratings
- The cancellation and refund policies
Pack Your Essentials
Packing for Vietnam can be tricky as you need to prepare for different weather conditions, activities, and cultural norms. Here are some of the essentials you should pack for your trip:
- Passport and visa documents
- Travel insurance and medical records
- Cash and credit cards
- Phone and charger
- Adapter and power bank
- Camera and memory card
- Sunscreen and sunglasses vietnam travel tips 2023
- Hat and umbrella
- Insect repellent and anti-malaria pills
- First aid kit and medications
- Water bottle and purification tablets
- Toiletries and personal hygiene items
- Clothing and footwear suitable for different climates and occasions
You should also pack light and avoid bringing unnecessary items that will weigh you down or take up space.
Plan Your Itinerary
Vietnam has so much to offer that it can be overwhelming to decide what to see and do. You should plan your itinerary based on your interests, budget, time frame, and travel style. You can also use online resources such as Lonely Planet, TripAdvisor, or Travel Fish to get inspiration and information. vietnam travel tips 2023
Here are some of the most popular destinations and attractions in Vietnam: vietnam travel tips 2023
Hanoi is the capital city of Vietnam and one of its cultural hubs. It is famous for its historical landmarks, colonial architecture, museums, temples, lakes, parks, and street food. Some of the highlights include:
- Hoan Kiem Lake: A scenic lake surrounded by trees, bridges, pagodas, and monuments. It is also home to Ngoc Son Temple, The Huc Bridge, and Turtle Tower. It is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike to relax, walk, or exercise.
- Old Quarter: A bustling area with narrow streets lined with shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, and hotels. It is also where you can find some of the oldest buildings in Hanoi such as Dong Xuan Market, Bach Ma Temple, or Hoan Kiem Lake. It is a great place to experience the local life, culture, and cuisine.
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum: A monumental building where the body of Ho Chi Minh, the founding father of modern Vietnam, is preserved. It is also where you can see his stilt house, museum, palace, and gardens. It is a must-see attraction for anyone interested in Vietnamese history and politics.