vietnam travel restrictions 2023 Vietnam is a beautiful country with a rich culture, diverse landscapes, and delicious cuisine. It is also one of the few destinations in the world that has fully reopened for international tourism without Covid-19 restrictions1. If you are planning to visit Vietnam in 2023, here are some things you need to know before you go.
How to Get a Visa for Vietnam vietnam travel restrictions 2023
One of the first things you need to do before traveling to Vietnam is to get a visa. Depending on your nationality, you may be eligible for a visa exemption, an e-visa, or a visa on arrival.
Vietnam offers visa exemptions to 25 nationalities, which means you can enter the country without a visa for a certain period of time. For example, citizens of Japan, South Korea, Russia, and most European countries can stay in Vietnam for up to 15 days without a visa. Citizens of Chile can stay for up to 90 days without a visa. You can check the full list of visa-exempt countries and their durations here1. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
If you are not eligible for a visa exemption, you can apply for an e-visa online. An e-visa is valid for 30 days and allows you to enter Vietnam through 33 designated ports of entry, including major airports, seaports, and land crossings. You can apply for an e-visa on the official website of the Vietnam Immigration Department1. The application fee is $25 and the processing time is usually 2-3 days. You will need to upload a passport photo and a scanned copy of your passport information page. You will also need to provide your personal details, travel itinerary, and accommodation information. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Visa on Arrival
Another option is to get a visa on arrival, which means you can obtain your visa at the airport when you arrive in Vietnam. However, this option is only available for travelers who fly into one of the six international airports in Vietnam: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Hai Phong, and Phu Quoc. You will also need to get a visa approval letter from a licensed travel agency before you travel. You can apply for a visa approval letter online through various websites, such as Vietnam Visa2. The application fee varies depending on the type and duration of your visa, but it usually ranges from $6 to $50. The processing time is usually 2 working days, but you can also request an urgent or super urgent service for an extra fee. You will receive your visa approval letter by email, which you need to print out and bring with you to the airport. You will also need to fill out a visa application form and prepare two passport photos. At the airport, you will need to present your visa approval letter, passport, visa application form, photos, and pay the stamping fee in cash (USD or VND) at the visa on arrival counter. The stamping fee varies depending on the type and duration of your visa, but it usually ranges from $25 to $135. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
How to Travel Safely in Vietnam
Vietnam is generally a safe country to visit, but there are some precautions you should take to avoid any problems or risks.
Health and Insurance
Before traveling to Vietnam, you should check with your doctor if you need any vaccinations or medications. Some of the recommended vaccinations for Vietnam are hepatitis A, typhoid, tetanus, and rabies. You should also consider taking anti-malarial pills if you plan to visit rural areas or national parks. You should also bring a travel insurance that covers Covid-19 treatment with a minimum coverage of $10,0003. This is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended for your peace of mind. You can use Safety Wing3 for travel insurance in Vietnam. If you get sick or injured in Vietnam, you can find medical facilities and pharmacies in major cities and tourist areas. However, the quality and availability of health care may vary depending on the location and the severity of your condition. You may also need to pay upfront for any medical services or medications. Therefore, it is advisable to keep all your receipts and contact your insurance company as soon as possible. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Crime and Scams
Vietnam is not a violent country, but petty crimes such as pickpocketing, bag snatching, and phone theft are common in crowded places and tourist areas. You should always keep an eye on your belongings and avoid carrying large amounts of cash or valuables. You should also be careful when using ATMs, taxis, or motorbike taxis, as some of them may try to overcharge you or give you counterfeit money. You should always use reputable companies, check the meter, and agree on the price before you get in. You should also be aware of some common scams that target tourists, such as the shoe shine scam, the coconut scam, the cyclo scam, and the fake monk scam. You can read more about these scams and how to avoid them here2. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Culture and Etiquette
Vietnam is a country with a rich and diverse culture, but also with some customs and etiquette that you should respect and follow. Some of the basic rules are:
- Dress modestly and cover your shoulders and knees when visiting temples, pagodas, or other religious sites.
- Remove your shoes when entering someone’s home or a place of worship.
- Do not touch anyone’s head or point your feet at anyone, as these are considered rude gestures.
- Do not display public affection or anger, as these are considered inappropriate and disrespectful.
- Do not take photos of military or government buildings, or of people without their permission.
- Do not criticize or joke about the Vietnamese government, politics, or history, as these are sensitive topics.
How to Enjoy Vietnam to the Fullest
Vietnam is a country that offers something for everyone, whether you are looking for adventure, relaxation, culture, or food. Here are some of the best things to do and see in Vietnam. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Explore the Natural Wonders
Vietnam is blessed with stunning natural scenery, from limestone mountains and green terraced rice fields to white sandy beaches and tropical islands. Some of the most popular natural attractions in Vietnam are:
- Ha Long Bay: A UNESCO World Heritage Site that features thousands of karst islands and islets rising from the emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin. You can take a cruise, kayak, or swim in this breathtaking bay. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Sapa: A mountainous town in northern Vietnam that is famous for its ethnic minority villages and its picturesque rice terraces. You can trek, bike, or homestay in this charming area.
- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park: A UNESCO World Heritage Site that contains the largest cave system in the world, including the Son Doong Cave, which is the largest cave in the world. You can explore, hike, or camp in this amazing park. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Phu Quoc Island: A tropical island in the south of Vietnam that boasts pristine beaches, lush forests, and coral reefs. You can relax, snorkel, or dive in this paradise island.
Experience the Cultural Diversity
Vietnam is a country with a rich and diverse culture, influenced by its history, geography, and ethnic groups. You can learn more about the Vietnamese culture by visiting some of its cultural attractions, such as:
- Hanoi: The capital and the cultural heart of Vietnam, where you can find ancient temples, colonial buildings, museums, and art galleries. You can also enjoy the street life, the cuisine, and the nightlife of this vibrant city. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Hoi An: A UNESCO World Heritage Site that preserves the charm and architecture of a former trading port. You can admire the lantern-lit streets, the wooden houses, the bridges, and the markets of this quaint town. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Hue: The former imperial capital of Vietnam, where you can find the Citadel, the royal tombs, the pagodas, and the gardens of the Nguyen Dynasty. You can also experience the cuisine, the music, and the festivals of this cultural city. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Ho Chi Minh City: The largest and the most modern city in Vietnam, where you can find skyscrapers, shopping malls, museums, and nightlife. You can also visit some historical sites, such as the War Remnants Museum, the Cu Chi Tunnels, and the Reunification Palace.
Taste the Delicious Cuisine
Vietnam is a country with a delicious and diverse cuisine, influenced by its climate, geography, and history. You can find different dishes and flavors in different regions of Vietnam, but some of the common characteristics are fresh ingredients, herbs, spices, and sauces. Some of the most popular dishes in Vietnam are:
- Pho: A noodle soup with beef or chicken broth, rice noodles, meat slices, bean sprouts, herbs, and lime. It is usually eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
- Banh Mi: A sandwich with a French baguette filled with various ingredients, such as pate, ham, cheese, eggs, pickles, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, and chili sauce. It is usually eaten for lunch or as a snack. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Bun Cha: A dish with grilled pork patties or slices served with rice noodles, herbs, lettuce, and a dipping sauce made of fish sauce, vinegar, and sugar. It is a refreshing and tangy dish that can be eaten hot or cold.
- Banh Xeo: A crispy rice flour pancake stuffed with pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, and herbs. It is served with lettuce leaves and a dipping sauce made of fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and chili. You can wrap the pancake in the lettuce and dip it in the sauce for a crunchy and savory bite. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Cha Ca: A specialty of Hanoi, this dish consists of grilled fish marinated with turmeric, ginger, garlic, and dill. The fish is cooked on a sizzling pan at your table and served with rice noodles, herbs, peanuts, and a fermented shrimp paste sauce called mam tom. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Cao Lau: A signature dish of Hoi An, this dish features thick rice noodles that are cooked with ash from a local tree to give them a unique texture and color. The noodles are topped with slices of roast pork, bean sprouts, herbs, fried wontons, and a rich broth that is flavored with star anise and cinnamon. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Indulge in the Street Food
One of the best ways to experience the Vietnamese cuisine is to eat like a local and try the street food. Street food stalls are ubiquitous in Vietnam, offering a variety of dishes that are cheap, fresh, and delicious. You can find street food stalls along the sidewalks, in the markets, or in small alleys. Some of the most popular street food dishes in Vietnam are:
- Banh Mi: As mentioned above, this is a sandwich with a French baguette filled with various ingredients. You can find banh mi stalls everywhere in Vietnam, offering different fillings such as grilled pork, meatballs, eggs, cheese, pate, or even ice cream. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Pho: As mentioned above, this is a noodle soup with beef or chicken broth, rice noodles, meat slices, bean sprouts, herbs, and lime. You can find pho stalls open from early morning until late night, serving this comforting and satisfying dish. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Bun Cha: As mentioned above, this is a dish with grilled pork patties or slices served with rice noodles, herbs, lettuce, and a dipping sauce. You can find bun cha stalls mainly in Hanoi, where it originated. It is usually eaten for lunch or as a snack. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
- Banh Cuon: A thin rice flour crepe filled with minced pork and wood ear mushrooms. It is steamed and served with slices of Vietnamese ham, bean sprouts, herbs, and a dipping sauce made of fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and chili. It is a light and delicate dish that is usually eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
- Banh Trang Tron: A salad made of shredded rice paper mixed with dried shrimp, quail eggs, green mango, herbs, peanuts, and a dressing made of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chili. It is a crunchy and spicy dish that is usually eaten as a snack. vietnam travel restrictions 2023
Vietnam is a wonderful country to visit in 2023, as it has fully reopened for international tourism without Covid-19 restrictions. You can enjoy the natural wonders, the cultural diversity, and the delicious cuisine of Vietnam without any hassle. All you need to do is to get a visa, travel safely, and enjoy Vietnam to the fullest. vietnam travel restrictions 2023