vietnam travel guide 2022 Vietnam is a country of contrasts, where the ancient and the modern, the traditional and the trendy, the rural and the urban coexist in harmony. Vietnam is a country of diversity, where you can find different landscapes, climates, cultures, cuisines, and attractions. Vietnam is a country of beauty, where you can admire the natural wonders, the architectural marvels, the artistic expressions, and the human stories. Vietnam is a country of adventure, where you can explore, discover, experience, and enjoy.
If you are planning to visit Vietnam in 2022, you might have some questions about this fascinating destination. In this blog post, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide that covers everything you need to know before you go to Vietnam. We will cover topics such as:
- When to go
- Where to go
- How to get there
- How to get around
- What to see and do
- What to eat and drink
- What to pack
- What to expect
By the end of this blog post, you will have a clear idea of what Vietnam has to offer and how to make the most of your trip. So, let’s get started!
When to go
Vietnam is a year-round destination, as it has different seasons and climates in different regions. However, there are some general patterns that you can consider when choosing the best time to go to Vietnam. vietnam travel guide 2022.
The north of Vietnam has four seasons: spring (February to April), summer (May to August), autumn (September to November), and winter (December to January). The spring and autumn are the best times to visit the north, as the weather is mild and pleasant, with clear skies and moderate temperatures. The summer is hot and humid, with frequent rain and storms. The winter is cold and dry, with occasional fog and frost. vietnam travel guide 2022
The central of Vietnam has two seasons: dry (January to August) and wet (September to December). The dry season is the best time to visit the central, as the weather is sunny and warm, with little rain and wind. The wet season is rainy and stormy, with possible floods and typhoons. vietnam travel guide 2022
The south of Vietnam has two seasons: dry (November to April) and wet (May to October). The dry season is the best time to visit the south, as the weather is hot and sunny, with low humidity and cool breezes. The wet season is hot and humid, with heavy rain and thunderstorms. vietnam travel guide 2022
Where to go
Vietnam has a lot of places to go, depending on your interests and preferences. Here are some of the most popular destinations that you can include in your itinerary:
Hanoi is the capital city of Vietnam and one of the oldest cities in Asia. It is a vibrant and dynamic metropolis that blends the charm of the past with the energy of the present. Hanoi is home to many cultural and historical landmarks, such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Temple of Literature, the Old Quarter, and the Hoan Kiem Lake. You can also enjoy the lively street life, the delicious street food, and the colorful markets of Hanoi. vietnam travel guide 2022
Ha Long Bay
Ha Long Bay is one of the most famous and beautiful attractions in Vietnam. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that features thousands of limestone islands and islets rising from the emerald water of the Gulf of Tonkin. Ha Long Bay is a place of stunning scenery, biodiversity, and cultural heritage. You can also enjoy various activities such as kayaking, swimming, hiking, climbing, caving, fishing, and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
Hoi An is a charming and picturesque town that dates back to the 15th century. It was once a major trading port that attracted merchants from China, Japan, India, and Europe. Today, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that preserves the architecture, culture, and atmosphere of its past. Hoi An is famous for its lanterns that light up the streets at night, its tailors that can make custom-made clothes in a matter of hours, and its cuisine that reflects its multicultural heritage. vietnam travel guide 2022
Hue is a city in central Vietnam that was once the imperial capital of the Nguyen dynasty from 1802 to 1945. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that showcases the royal legacy of Vietnam. Hue is famous for its monuments, such as the Citadel, the Imperial City, the Tombs of the Emperors, and the Thien Mu Pagoda. You can also enjoy the scenic Perfume River, the vibrant Dong Ba Market, and the delicious Hue cuisine. vietnam travel guide 2022
Da Nang is the third-largest city in Vietnam and a major transportation hub. It is a modern and cosmopolitan city that offers a variety of attractions and activities. Da Nang is famous for its beaches, such as My Khe, Non Nuoc, and Son Tra. You can also visit some of the landmarks, such as the Dragon Bridge, the Marble Mountains, and the Ba Na Hills. You can also enjoy the nightlife, the shopping, and the food of Da Nang. vietnam travel guide 2022
Nha Trang is a coastal city in southern Vietnam that is known for its beach resort and its marine life. It is a popular destination for travelers who want to relax and have fun. Nha Trang is famous for its long and sandy beach, its clear and blue water, and its coral reefs. You can also visit some of the attractions, such as the Po Nagar Cham Towers, the Long Son Pagoda, and the Vinpearl Land. You can also enjoy the water sports, the spa treatments, and the seafood of Nha Trang. vietnam travel guide 2022
Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City is the largest and most populous city in Vietnam and the economic and cultural center of the country. It is a dynamic and diverse city that offers a mix of history, modernity, tradition, and innovation. Ho Chi Minh City is famous for its landmarks, such as the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Reunification Palace, the War Remnants Museum, and the Cu Chi Tunnels. You can also enjoy the nightlife, the shopping, and the food of Ho Chi Minh City. vietnam travel guide 2022
The Mekong Delta is a region in southwestern Vietnam that is formed by the Mekong River and its tributaries. It is a fertile and lush area that produces most of the rice, fruits, and vegetables in Vietnam. It is also a place of rich culture, history, and nature. You can visit some of the towns and cities in the delta, such as Can Tho, Ben Tre, Vinh Long, and Chau Doc. You can also explore some of the attractions, such as the floating markets, the coconut farms, the bird sanctuaries, and the pagodas. You can also experience the rural life, the boat rides, and the cuisine of the Mekong Delta. vietnam travel guide 2022
How to get there
Vietnam has two main international airports: Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi and Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City. You can fly to Vietnam from many countries around the world, such as China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, France, Germany, UK, USA, and more. You can also enter Vietnam by land from neighboring countries such as Cambodia, Laos, and China. You will need a valid passport and a visa to enter Vietnam. You can apply for a visa online or at a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your country. vietnam travel guide 2022
How to get around
Vietnam has a good network of transportation that allows you to get around easily and affordably. Here are some of the common modes of transport that you can use in Vietnam:
Plane is the fastest and most convenient way to travel between major cities in Vietnam. There are several domestic airlines that operate flights within Vietnam, such as Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Bamboo Airways, and Pacific Airlines. You can book your tickets online or through a travel agent.
Train is a scenic and comfortable way to travel along the coast of Vietnam. There is a main railway line that runs from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, with stops at many cities along the way, such as Hai Phong, Ninh Binh, Thanh Hoa, Vinh, Dong Hoi, Hue, Da Nang, Quy Nhon, Nha Trang, Phan Thiet, Bien Hoa and more. You can choose from different classes of service, such as hard seat, soft seat, hard sleeper, soft sleeper, and VIP sleeper. You can book your tickets online or at the train station. vietnam travel guide 2022
Bus is the cheapest and most widely available way to travel within and between cities in Vietnam. There are many bus companies that operate buses of different sizes and quality, such as public buses, tourist buses, minibuses, and sleeper buses. You can buy your tickets online, at the bus station, or from a travel agent. vietnam travel guide 2022
Car is a convenient and flexible way to travel in Vietnam if you want to have more control and freedom over your itinerary. You can rent a car with or without a driver from many car rental companies in Vietnam. You will need a valid driver’s license and an international driving permit to drive in Vietnam. You should also be aware of the traffic rules and conditions in Vietnam, which can be chaotic and unpredictable. vietnam travel guide 2022
Motorbike is the most popular and common way to travel in Vietnam for locals and tourists alike. It is a fun and adventurous way to explore the country and its hidden gems. You can rent a motorbike from many shops or hotels in Vietnam. You will need a valid driver’s license and an international driving permit to drive a motorbike in Vietnam. You should also wear a helmet and follow the traffic rules and safety precautions. vietnam travel guide 2022
Bicycle is a healthy and eco-friendly way to travel in Vietnam, especially in the countryside and the smaller towns. It is a great way to enjoy the scenery and the culture of Vietnam at your own pace. You can rent a bicycle from many shops or hotels in Vietnam. You should also wear a helmet and follow the traffic rules and safety precautions. vietnam travel guide 2022
Taxi is a convenient and comfortable way to travel short distances in Vietnam. There are many taxi companies that operate in Vietnam, such as Mai Linh, Vinasun, Grab, and Be. You can hail a taxi on the street or book one online or by phone. You should use the meter or agree on the fare before you get in. You should also have some cash in Vietnamese dong to pay for your ride. vietnam travel guide 2022
Cyclo is a traditional and unique way to travel in Vietnam. It is a three-wheeled bicycle with a passenger seat in front of the driver. It is a slow and relaxing way to see the sights and sounds of Vietnam. You can find cyclos in many tourist areas, such as the Old Quarter of Hanoi or the Old Town of Hoi An. You should negotiate the price and duration of your ride before you get on. vietnam travel guide 2022
What to see and do
Vietnam has a lot of things to see and do, depending on your interests and preferences. Here are some of the most popular attractions and activities that you can enjoy in Vietnam:
See the historical sites
Vietnam has a long and rich history that spans from ancient times to modern times. You can see some of the historical sites that reflect the different periods and events of Vietnam’s history, such as:
- The Imperial Citadel of Thang Long in Hanoi, which was the political center of Vietnam for 13 centuries. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The Cu Chi Tunnels near Ho Chi Minh City, which were used by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War.
- The My Son Sanctuary near Hoi An, which was a religious complex of the Champa civilization from the 4th to the 13th century. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The Hue Citadel in Hue, which was the imperial capital of the Nguyen dynasty from 1802 to 1945.
Experience the culture
Vietnam has a diverse and vibrant culture that is influenced by its geography, history, ethnicity, religion, and lifestyle. You can experience some of the aspects of Vietnam’s culture, such as:
- The festivals and celebrations that mark different occasions and seasons, such as Tet (the Lunar New Year), Mid-Autumn Festival (the harvest festival), Hung King Festival (the ancestor worship festival), and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The arts and crafts that showcase the creativity and skill of Vietnamese people, such as water puppetry, lacquerware, silk painting, embroidery, and more.
- The music and dance that express the emotions and traditions of Vietnamese people, such as ca tru (a form of chamber music), quan ho (a form of folk singing), ao dai (the national dress), and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The religion and spirituality that shape the beliefs and values of Vietnamese people, such as Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity, Islam, and folk religion. You can visit some of the temples, pagodas, churches, mosques, and shrines that are scattered around Vietnam.
Enjoy the nature
Vietnam has a diverse and beautiful nature that offers a variety of landscapes, climates, flora, and fauna. You can enjoy some of the natural wonders of Vietnam, such as:
- The mountains and hills that offer stunning views and challenging trails, such as Fansipan (the highest peak in Vietnam), Ba Vi (a national park near Hanoi), Dalat (a hill station in the central highlands), and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The forests and jungles that are home to many species of plants and animals, some of which are endemic or endangered, such as Cuc Phuong (the oldest national park in Vietnam), Cat Tien (a biosphere reserve in the south), Phong Nha-Ke Bang (a UNESCO World Heritage Site with the largest cave system in the world), and more.
- The rivers and lakes that provide water resources and scenic beauty, such as the Red River (the longest river in Vietnam), the Mekong River (the lifeline of the Mekong Delta), the Hoan Kiem Lake (the symbol of Hanoi), and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The beaches and islands that offer relaxation and recreation, such as Nha Trang (a beach resort city in the south), Phu Quoc (the largest island in Vietnam), Con Dao (a group of islands with a dark history and a bright future), and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
Vietnam has a lot of fun things to do that will make your trip more enjoyable and memorable. You can have fun in Vietnam by:
- Trying some of the adventurous activities that will test your skills and adrenaline, such as kayaking, rafting, zip-lining, rock climbing, paragliding, bungee jumping, and more.
- Joining some of the cultural activities that will teach you something new and interesting, such as cooking classes, pottery workshops, lantern making workshops, martial arts classes, and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- Exploring some of the off-the-beaten-path places that will surprise you with their uniqueness and charm, such as Sapa (a mountain town with ethnic minorities), Mai Chau (a valley with stilt houses and rice fields), Mui Ne (a coastal town with sand dunes and kite surfing), and more.
- Enjoying some of the nightlife options that will keep you entertained and happy, such as bars, clubs, karaoke, cinemas, theaters, and more.
What to eat and drink
Vietnam has a rich and diverse cuisine that reflects its geography, history, culture, and lifestyle. You can eat and drink some of the best things in Vietnam, such as:
- The pho (noodle soup) that is the national dish of Vietnam and comes in different varieties, such as pho bo (beef), pho ga (chicken), pho chay (vegetarian), and more.
- The banh mi (sandwich) that is a fusion of Vietnamese and French influences and consists of a baguette filled with meat, vegetables, herbs, and sauces.
- The bun cha (grilled pork with noodles) that is a specialty of Hanoi and consists of grilled pork patties or slices served with rice noodles, herbs, and dipping sauce.
- The cha ca (fish with turmeric and dill) that is another specialty of Hanoi and consists of fish marinated in turmeric and fried with dill, spring onions, and peanuts served with rice noodles and dipping sauce.
- The banh xeo (crispy pancakes) that are a specialty of the central and southern regions and consist of rice flour pancakes stuffed with pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, and herbs served with lettuce, mint, and dipping sauce.
- The com tam (broken rice) that is a popular dish in the south and consists of cooked rice grains that are broken and served with grilled pork, egg, vegetables, and fish sauce.
- The ca phe (coffee) that is a staple drink in Vietnam and comes in different forms, such as ca phe sua da (iced coffee with condensed milk), ca phe trung (egg coffee), ca phe sua chua (yogurt coffee), and more.
- The bia hoi (fresh beer) that is a cheap and refreshing drink in Vietnam and is brewed daily and served in glasses or jugs at street stalls or bars.
- The nuoc mia (sugarcane juice) that is a sweet and refreshing drink in Vietnam and is made by squeezing sugarcane stalks and adding ice and lime juice.
- The sinh to (smoothie) that is a healthy and delicious drink in Vietnam and is made by blending fresh fruits, milk, yogurt, and ice.
What to pack
Vietnam has different climates and seasons in different regions, so you should pack accordingly. Here are some of the essential items that you should pack for your trip to Vietnam:
- Passport and visa
- Travel insurance
- Flight tickets and hotel reservations
- Cash in Vietnamese dong and US dollars
- Credit cards and ATM cards
- Phone and charger
- Adapter and power bank
- Camera and memory card
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Hat and umbrella
- Insect repellent and anti-diarrhea medicine
- Light clothing and layers
- Raincoat or jacket
- Swimwear and towel
- Hiking shoes or sandals
- Backpack or suitcase
What to expect
Vietnam is a country that will surprise you with its diversity, beauty, and charm. However, it is also a country that has some challenges, quirks, and differences that you should be aware of. Here are some of the things that you should expect when you visit Vietnam:
- The traffic is chaotic and unpredictable. You should be careful when crossing the street or riding a motorbike. You should also follow the traffic rules and signals. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The people are friendly and hospitable. You should be respectful and polite when interacting with them. You should also learn some basic Vietnamese phrases, such as hello (xin chao), thank you (cam on), sorry (xin loi), and goodbye (tam biet). vietnam travel guide 2022
- The culture is rich and diverse. You should be open-minded and curious when experiencing it. You should also be aware of some cultural norms and etiquette, such as removing your shoes when entering a house or a temple, dressing modestly when visiting religious sites, not pointing your feet at someone or something, not touching someone’s head, and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The food is delicious and varied. You should be adventurous and try some of the local specialties. You should also be careful about hygiene and sanitation when eating street food or drinking tap water. You should also avoid ice cubes unless they are from a reputable source. vietnam travel guide 2022
- The prices are cheap and negotiable. You should be prepared to bargain when shopping at markets or stalls. You should also be aware of some common scams and rip-offs, such as taxi meters, fake goods, inflated bills, and more. vietnam travel guide 2022
Vietnam is a country that will amaze you with its attractions, activities, cuisine, culture, nature, and people. It is a country that will make you fall in love with its charm, beauty, and adventure. In this blog post, we have provided you with a comprehensive guide that covers everything you need to know before you go to Vietnam. We hope that this guide will help you plan your trip to Vietnam in 2022 and make it an unforgettable experience. Thank you for reading! vietnam travel guide 2022