vietnam travel essentials Vietnam is a beautiful and diverse country that offers something for everyone. Whether you are looking for stunning beaches, lush jungles, ancient temples, vibrant cities, or delicious food, you will find it in Vietnam. But before you pack your bags and hop on a plane, there are some things you need to know and prepare for your trip. Here are some Vietnam travel essentials that will help you have a smooth and enjoyable experience.
Visa Requirements vietnam travel essentials
One of the first things you need to check is whether you need a visa to enter Vietnam. Depending on your nationality, you may be eligible for a visa exemption, an e-visa, or a visa on arrival. You can find more information about the visa requirements and procedures on the official website of the Vietnam Immigration Department1.
If you are eligible for a visa exemption, you can stay in Vietnam for up to 15 or 30 days without a visa, depending on your country of origin. However, you will need a passport that is valid for at least six months from your date of entry and a return or onward ticket. vietnam travel essentials
If you are eligible for an e-visa, you can apply online and pay a fee of $25 USD. You will receive an approval letter within three working days and you can print it out and present it at the immigration checkpoint. The e-visa is valid for 30 days and allows single entry only.
If you are eligible for a visa on arrival, you will need to obtain an approval letter from a travel agency or an online service before your departure. You will also need to pay a stamping fee of $25 USD for single entry or $50 USD for multiple entry at the airport. The visa on arrival is valid for up to 90 days and allows single or multiple entry. vietnam travel essentials
Another important thing to consider is travel insurance. Vietnam is generally a safe and friendly country, but accidents and mishaps can happen anywhere. Travel insurance can protect you from unexpected costs and losses, such as medical expenses, flight cancellations, lost or stolen belongings, and more.
There are many travel insurance providers and plans to choose from, so you should compare them carefully and find the one that suits your needs and budget. Some of the factors to consider are the coverage, the exclusions, the limits, the deductibles, and the customer service. You can also check reviews and ratings from other travelers to get an idea of their experiences. vietnam travel essentials
One of the travel insurance providers that we recommend is World Nomads2. They offer flexible and comprehensive coverage for travelers from over 130 countries. They also have a 24/7 emergency assistance team and an easy online claim process. You can get a quote and buy a policy online in minutes.
Packing for Vietnam can be tricky, as the country has different climates and seasons depending on the region. The north tends to be cooler and drier, while the south is warmer and wetter. The central coast can experience typhoons and floods from September to December. The best time to visit Vietnam is generally from November to April, when the weather is mild and dry across most of the country. vietnam travel essentials
Regardless of when and where you go, there are some items that you should pack for Vietnam. Here are some of them:
- A backpack or a suitcase that is durable, waterproof, and easy to carry. You may have to walk on uneven roads or take public transportation in Vietnam, so make sure your luggage is comfortable and convenient. vietnam travel essentials
- A daypack or a crossbody bag that can fit your essentials, such as your passport, wallet, phone, camera, water bottle, etc. You should also keep your valuables close to you and be aware of pickpockets in crowded areas.
- A rain jacket or a poncho that can protect you from sudden showers or storms. You can also bring an umbrella if you prefer. vietnam travel essentials
- A sun hat or a cap that can shield you from the sun. Vietnam can get very hot and sunny, especially in the south, so you should also wear sunscreen and sunglasses.
- A scarf or a shawl that can cover your shoulders or your head when you visit religious sites or conservative areas. Vietnam is a predominantly Buddhist country, so you should respect the local culture and dress modestly.
- A swimsuit or a sarong that can allow you to enjoy the beaches or the pools in Vietnam. You can also use a sarong as a towel, a blanket, or a cover-up.
- A pair of comfortable shoes or sandals that can handle different terrains and activities. You may want to bring a pair of hiking boots or sneakers if you plan to do some trekking or adventure sports in Vietnam. vietnam travel essentials
- A pair of flip-flops or slippers that can be used for showering or relaxing. You may also need to take off your shoes when you enter some places, such as temples, pagodas, or local homes, so having a pair of easy-to-wear footwear is handy.
- A travel adapter or a power bank that can keep your devices charged and connected. Vietnam uses 220V electricity and two-pin or three-pin plugs, so you may need an adapter if your devices have different voltage or plug types. vietnam travel essentials
- A mosquito repellent or a net that can prevent you from getting bitten by mosquitoes or other insects. Vietnam has some risks of malaria, dengue fever, and Zika virus, so you should take precautions and avoid mosquito bites as much as possible.
- A first aid kit or a medicine bag that can treat minor injuries or illnesses. You should also bring any prescription drugs or personal medications that you may need, as well as some over-the-counter drugs, such as painkillers, antihistamines, antidiarrheals, etc. vietnam travel essentials
- A toiletry bag or a cosmetic bag that can store your personal hygiene and beauty products. You can find most of the basic items in Vietnam, such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc., but you may want to bring your own brands or preferences. You should also pack some feminine hygiene products, such as pads, tampons, or menstrual cups, as they may not be widely available or suitable for you in Vietnam. vietnam travel essentials
Vietnam is a wonderful destination that will amaze you with its natural beauty, cultural diversity, and culinary delights. But before you go, you should prepare yourself with some Vietnam travel essentials that will make your trip easier and more enjoyable. By following this guide, you will be able to pack smartly, travel safely, and have fun in Vietnam.