Saigon, also known as Ho Chi Minh City, is the largest and most populous city in Vietnam. It is a city that combines the old and the new, the traditional and the modern, the east and the west. It is a city that offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors of all ages and interests. In this blog post, we will introduce you to some of the reasons why you should visit Saigon.
What to See in Saigon
Saigon has many interesting and beautiful sights to see, ranging from historical landmarks to contemporary art. Here are some of the highlights:
- Reunification Palace: This is a former presidential palace that was the site of the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. You can see the original furniture and equipment that were used by the South Vietnamese government, as well as the tank that crashed through the gate on April 30th. You can also visit the underground bunker and the war room.
- War Remnants Museum: This is a museum that displays the atrocities and consequences of the Vietnam War. You can see various exhibits, such as weapons, photographs, documents, and artifacts. You can also see some of the victims of Agent Orange, napalm, and landmines.
- Notre Dame Cathedral: This is a neo-Romanesque cathedral that was built by the French in the 19th century. You can admire the architecture and the stained glass windows of the cathedral, as well as the statue of the Virgin Mary in front of it. You can also attend a mass or a choir performance inside the cathedral.
- Ben Thanh Market: This is a bustling and colorful market that sells everything from souvenirs to food. You can browse through the stalls and bargain for some items, such as clothes, accessories, handicrafts, and coffee. You can also sample some local dishes, such as pho (noodle soup), banh mi (sandwich), and spring rolls.
What to Do in Saigon
Saigon is not only a place to see, but also a place to do. There are many activities that you can enjoy in Saigon, such as:
- Cruising: This is a relaxing and romantic activity that you can do on the Saigon River or on the Mekong Delta. You can take a boat ride and enjoy the views of the city skyline and the countryside. You can also have a dinner or a cocktail on board and watch the sunset or the fireworks.
- Shopping: This is a fun and exciting activity that you can do in Saigon. You can shop at various places, such as malls, markets, boutiques, and outlets. You can find anything from luxury brands to local products, from fashion to electronics, from antiques to art.
- Nightlife: This is a lively and vibrant activity that you can do in Saigon. You can party at various places, such as bars, clubs, pubs, and karaoke. You can listen to different kinds of music, such as pop, rock, jazz, and hip hop. You can also meet new people and make new friends.
- Culture: This is an enriching and educational activity that you can do in Saigon. You can learn about the culture and history of Vietnam at various places, such as museums, theaters, galleries, and temples. You can also experience some of the traditions and customs of Vietnam, such as water puppetry, ao dai (traditional dress), and tet (new year).
Saigon is a vibrant and dynamic city that offers a lot of attractions and activities for visitors. It is a perfect destination for those who want to experience the diversity and energy of Vietnam. If you are interested in visiting Saigon, you can book your trip with us today! 🌇
How to Get to Saigon
Saigon is located in the south of Vietnam, about 1,700 kilometers from Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam. There are several ways to get to Saigon, such as:
- Plane: This is the fastest and most convenient way to get to Saigon. You can take a flight from Hanoi or other cities in Vietnam, as well as from other countries in Asia and beyond. The flight takes about 2 hours from Hanoi and costs around 1.5 million VND (65 USD) per person. You can land at Tan Son Nhat International Airport, which is about 7 kilometers from the city center.
- Train: This is the most scenic and comfortable way to get to Saigon. You can take a train from Hanoi or other cities in Vietnam, and enjoy the views of the countryside and the coast along the way. The train takes about 35 hours from Hanoi and costs around 1.2 million VND (52 USD) per person for a soft sleeper berth. You can arrive at Saigon Railway Station, which is about 3 kilometers from the city center.
- Bus: This is the cheapest and most flexible way to get to Saigon. You can take a bus from Hanoi or other cities in Vietnam, and stop by some interesting places along the way. The bus takes about 40 hours from Hanoi and costs around 600,000 VND (26 USD) per person for a sleeper seat. You can arrive at various bus stations in Saigon, depending on your destination.
Where to Stay in Saigon
Saigon has a variety of accommodation options for different budgets and preferences. Here are some of the best places to stay in Saigon:
- Park Hyatt Saigon: This is a luxury hotel that offers a superb location and service. The hotel has elegant and spacious rooms, a swimming pool, a spa, a fitness center, and several restaurants and bars. The hotel also provides free wifi, free parking, and free shuttle service for guests. The price for a night starts from 200 USD.
- The Common Room Project: This is a cozy and friendly hostel that offers a social and creative atmosphere. The hostel has comfortable and clean dorms and private rooms, a rooftop terrace, a common area, and a kitchen. The hostel also provides free breakfast, free wifi, free bicycle rental, and free events for guests. The price for a night starts from 10 USD.
- Cozy House 160: This is a budget homestay that offers a convenient location and a good value for money. The homestay has simple and neat rooms, a shared bathroom, and a living room. The homestay also provides free wifi, free water, and free coffee and tea for guests. The price for a night starts from 5 USD.
Saigon is a vibrant and dynamic city that you should not miss when visiting Vietnam. It has many attractions and activities that will make your trip memorable and enjoyable. If you have any questions or need any help with planning your trip, please feel free to contact us anytime! 😊
What to Eat in Saigon
Saigon is a paradise for food lovers, as it offers a variety of dishes that reflect the diverse and delicious cuisine of Vietnam. Here are some of the must-try dishes in Saigon:
- Banh Mi: This is a sandwich that consists of a crispy baguette filled with various ingredients, such as pork, pate, ham, cheese, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, and chili sauce. You can find banh mi stalls and shops all over the city, and each one has its own recipe and style. You can have banh mi for breakfast, lunch, or snack.
- Pho: This is a noodle soup that is considered the national dish of Vietnam. You can choose from different kinds of noodles, such as rice noodles, egg noodles, or glass noodles, and different kinds of meat, such as beef, chicken, or seafood. The soup is made from beef or chicken broth and flavored with spices, such as cinnamon, star anise, and ginger. You can also add some herbs, bean sprouts, lime juice, and chili sauce to your liking.
- Com Tam: This is a rice dish that is made from broken rice grains that are cooked with water and oil. You can have com tam with various toppings, such as grilled pork chop, fried egg, shredded pork skin, pickled vegetables, and fish sauce. You can also have com tam with soup or salad on the side.
- Banh Xeo: This is a crispy pancake that is made from rice flour, coconut milk, turmeric powder, and water. You can have banh xeo with various fillings, such as pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, and mushrooms. You can also wrap banh xeo with lettuce leaves and dip it in fish sauce.
How to Enjoy Saigon
Saigon is a city that you can enjoy in many ways, depending on your mood and preference. Here are some of the best ways to enjoy Saigon:
- Relax: If you want to relax and unwind in Saigon, you can visit some of the parks and gardens in the city. You can also take a massage or a yoga class at some of the spas and wellness centers in the city. You can also watch a movie or a show at some of the cinemas and theaters in the city.
- Explore: If you want to explore and discover Saigon, you can visit some of the museums and galleries in the city. You can also take a walking tour or a cyclo tour around the city and see some of the landmarks and attractions. You can also take a day trip or a weekend trip to some of the nearby places, such as Cu Chi Tunnels, Mekong Delta, or Vung Tau.
- Socialize: If you want to socialize and meet new people in Saigon, you can visit some of the cafes and restaurants in the city. You can also join some of the clubs and groups that organize various activities and events in the city. You can also chat with some of the locals and learn more about their culture and lifestyle.
Saigon is a vibrant and dynamic city that has something for everyone. It is a place where you can have fun and learn at the same time. It is a place where you can feel the pulse and spirit of Vietnam. If you are ready to visit Saigon, don’t hesitate to book your trip with us now! 🙌