Quang Nam is a province in the central region of Vietnam. It is bordered by the South China Sea to the east, the Truong Son mountain range to the west, Da Nang city to the north and Quang Ngai province to the south. Quang Nam is known for its rich cultural and natural heritage, as well as its diverse and friendly people. In this blog post, we will explore some of the attractions and activities that Quang Nam has to offer, as well as some of the history and culture that make it unique.
The Attractions of Quang Nam
Quang Nam has many attractions that appeal to different types of travelers. Some of the most popular ones include:
- The ancient town of Hoi An: Hoi An is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that preserves the charm and beauty of a 16th-century trading port. It has a well-preserved old town with many historical buildings, such as the Japanese Covered Bridge, the Phuc Kien Assembly Hall, the Tan Ky House and the Quan Cong Temple. It also has a vibrant nightlife with many bars, restaurants and shops that cater to tourists.
- The Cham Islands: The Cham Islands are a group of eight islands that lie off the coast of Hoi An. They are a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve that boasts a rich biodiversity and a pristine environment. They are also home to the Cham people, an ethnic minority that has a distinct culture and religion. Visitors can enjoy various activities on the islands, such as snorkeling, diving, fishing, hiking and camping.
- The My Son Sanctuary: My Son is another UNESCO World Heritage Site that showcases the remnants of the ancient Champa civilization. It was a religious center that housed many temples and towers dedicated to Hindu gods and goddesses. It also served as a burial place for the Cham kings and nobles. Visitors can admire the architecture and sculpture of the site, as well as learn about its history and culture.
- The Ba Na Hills: The Ba Na Hills are a mountain resort that offers a panoramic view of the surrounding landscape. They are famous for their cable car system, which is the longest and highest in the world. They also have many attractions and facilities for visitors, such as the Golden Bridge, which is a pedestrian bridge supported by giant hands; the Fantasy Park, which is an amusement park with various games and rides; and the French Village, which is a replica of a medieval European town.
The Activities in Quang Nam
Quang Nam has many activities that cater to different interests and preferences. Some of the most popular ones include:
- The lantern festival: The lantern festival is a monthly event that takes place on the 14th day of each lunar month in Hoi An. It is a time when people light up colorful lanterns and float them on the river, creating a magical and romantic atmosphere. It is also a time when people make wishes and pray for peace and happiness.
- The pottery village: The pottery village is a traditional craft village that produces various types of pottery products, such as vases, bowls, plates and statues. Visitors can learn about the history and techniques of pottery making, as well as try their hand at making their own pottery items.
- The silk village: The silk village is another traditional craft village that produces high-quality silk products, such as fabrics, clothes and accessories. Visitors can learn about the process of silk production, from raising silkworms to weaving silk threads. They can also buy some silk products as souvenirs or gifts.
- The cooking class: Quang Nam has a rich and diverse culinary culture that reflects its geographical location and historical influences. Visitors can join a cooking class to learn how to make some of the local specialties, such as cao lau (rice noodles with pork and herbs), banh dap (rice crackers with shrimp paste), mi quang (turmeric noodles with meat and vegetables) and banh beo (steamed rice cakes with shrimp).
The History and Culture of Quang Nam
Quang Nam has a long and rich history and culture that date back to centuries ago. Some of the highlights of its history and culture include:
- The name: Quang Nam derives its name from the phrase “Quảng Nam Đại Phố”, which means “the great city of Quang Nam” in Vietnamese. This refers to the fact that Quang Nam was once a prosperous and powerful region that had trade relations with many countries in Asia and Europe.
- The festival: Quang Nam celebrates many festivals throughout the year, but the most important one is the Kate Festival, which is also known as the Cham New Year. It falls on the first day of the seventh lunar month, which is usually in September or October. It is a time when the Cham people honor their ancestors and gods, and also enjoy various activities such as music, dance, sports and games.
- The museum: Quang Nam has a museum that showcases the history, culture and nature of the province. It has four main sections: the natural section, which displays specimens of animals and plants; the historical section, which displays artifacts and documents from different periods; the cultural section, which displays costumes, instruments and tools of different ethnic groups; and the revolutionary section, which displays weapons, uniforms and photos of the wars.
Quang Nam is a province with a rich cultural and natural heritage. It has many attractions and activities that appeal to different types of travelers. It also has a long and rich history and culture that make it unique. Quang Nam is more than just a province, it is a destination that offers a memorable and authentic experience.