car rental zagreb If you are planning to visit Zagreb, the capital and the largest city of Croatia, you might want to rent a car to explore the city and its surroundings. Zagreb is a vibrant and historic city that offers a mix of culture, architecture, and nature, such as museums, churches, parks, and mountains.
In this blog post, we will provide you with a complete guide on how to rent a car in Zagreb, including:
- How to compare and book car rental deals online
- How to find and access the car rental locations in Zagreb
- What documents and requirements you need to rent a car
- What are the best car rental companies and tips to save money
- What are the driving rules and regulations in Croatia
- What are the best places to visit by car from Zagreb
How to Compare and Book Car Rental Deals Online car rental zagreb
One of the easiest and most convenient ways to rent a car in Zagreb is to book online in advance. This way, you can compare prices and features of different car rental companies, choose the best deal for your needs and budget, and avoid queues and hassle at the car rental location.
There are many websites that allow you to compare and book car rental deals online, such as:
These websites allow you to filter your search by car type, size, transmission, fuel policy, mileage limit, insurance coverage, customer rating, and more. You can also see photos and reviews of the cars and the companies. Some websites also offer discounts and free cancellation options.
To book online, you will need to enter your travel dates, pick-up and drop-off locations, driver’s age, and payment method. You will then receive a confirmation email with your booking details and voucher. You will need to print or show this voucher at the car rental location when you arrive in Zagreb.
How to Find and Access the Car Rental Locations in Zagreb car rental zagreb
Once you arrive in Zagreb, you will need to find and access the car rental location to collect your car. There are two main options for this:
- At the airport: If you are flying to Zagreb International Airport (ZAG), you can rent a car at the airport itself. The airport has a dedicated area for car rental services located on level 0 of the passenger terminal. To reach it, you will need to follow the signs or ask for directions from the airport staff. The airport has 10 car rental companies:
- Oryx Rent A Car
- Off-airport: If you prefer to rent a car from an off-airport location,
you can find many options in downtown Zagreb or other areas of the city. To reach them, you will need to take a taxi, a bus, a tram, or a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Bolt from the airport or your accommodation. Some of the off-airport car rental companies in Zagreb are:
- Active Rent A Car
- Avant Car
- Carwiz Rent A Car
- Fleet Rent A Car
What Documents and Requirements You Need to Rent a Car
To rent a car in Zagreb, you will need to present some documents and meet some requirements at the car rental location. These include:
- A valid driver’s license: You will need to have a full and valid driver’s license from your country of residence that allows you to drive in Croatia. If your license is not in English or Roman alphabet, you may also need an international driving permit (IDP) or a certified translation. car rental zagreb
- A credit or debit card: You will need to have a credit or debit card in your name that has enough funds to cover the rental cost and deposit. The deposit amount varies depending on the car type and company, but it usually ranges from €100 to €500. The deposit will be blocked or charged on your card until you return the car in good condition. car rental zagreb
- A passport or ID card: You may also need to show a passport or ID card as proof of identity and age. The minimum age to rent a car in Zagreb is usually 21 years old, but some companies may have higher or lower age limits or charge extra fees for young or senior drivers. car rental zagreb
- A booking confirmation or voucher: If you have booked online in advance, you will need to show your booking confirmation or voucher that contains your reservation number and details.
What are the Best Car Rental Companies and Tips to Save Money
There are many car rental companies that operate in Zagreb, offering a wide range of cars and services for different needs and budgets. Some of the best-rated companies according to customer reviews are:
- Oryx Rent A Car: Oryx Rent A Car is a local and independent car rental company that offers quality and affordable cars for Zagreb and Croatia. Oryx Rent A Car offers a wide range of cars, including economy and compact models, luxury and premium models, SUVs and minivans, and more. Oryx Rent A Car also offers unlimited mileage, free additional drivers, free airport pick-up and drop-off, and 24/7 roadside assistance. car rental zagreb
- Sixt: Sixt is a well-known and reliable car rental company that operates worldwide. Sixt offers a wide range of cars, including economy and compact models, luxury and premium models, SUVs and minivans, electric and hybrid vehicles, and more. Sixt also offers flexible rental periods, free cancellation options, online check-in, and excellent customer service. car rental zagreb
- Avant Car: Avant Car is another local and independent car rental company that offers quality and affordable cars for Zagreb and Croatia. Avant Car offers a variety of cars, including economy and compact models, luxury and premium models, SUVs and minivans, and more. Avant Car also offers unlimited mileage, free additional drivers, free airport pick-up and drop-off, and 24/7 roadside assistance. car rental zagreb
To save money when renting a car in Zagreb, here are some tips:
- Book online in advance: Booking online in advance can help you find better deals and avoid paying higher rates at the counter. You can also compare prices and features of different companies and choose the best option for your needs. car rental zagreb
- Avoid peak seasons: Renting a car during peak seasons such as summer or winter can be more expensive than renting during off-seasons. You can also avoid surcharges for high demand or limited availability. car rental zagreb
- Choose a smaller car: Choosing a smaller car can help you save money on rental fees as well as fuel costs. Smaller cars are usually cheaper than larger cars and consume less gas. However, make sure that the car has enough space for your luggage and passengers. car rental zagreb
- Check the fuel policy: Checking the fuel policy before booking can help you avoid extra charges for refueling or returning the car with less fuel than when you picked it up. The most common fuel policies are:
- Full-to-full: You pick up the car with a full tank of gas and return it with a full tank of gas. This is usually the cheapest option as you only pay for what you use.
- Full-to-empty: You pick up the car with a full tank of gas and return it with an empty tank of gas. You pay for a full tank of gas upfront regardless of how much you use. This can be more expensive as you may not use all the gas or get refunded for unused gas. car rental zagreb
- Pre-purchase: You pay for a certain amount of gas upfront at a discounted rate and return the car with any amount of gas left. This can be convenient as you don’t have to worry about refueling before returning but it can also be wasteful if you don’t use all the gas. car rental zagreb
What are Driving Rules And Regulations In Croatia
Driving in Croatia can be an enjoyable experience as you can explore scenic routes, coastal views, historic towns, and natural parks by car. However, you should also be aware of the driving rules and regulations in Croatia to ensure a safe and smooth journey. Some of the main rules and regulations are:
- Drive on the right: In Croatia, as in most of Europe, you must drive on the right side of the road and overtake on the left. You should also keep to the right lane on highways and motorways unless you are overtaking or turning left. car rental zagreb
- Follow the speed limits: The speed limits in Croatia are measured in kilometers per hour (km/h) and vary depending on the type of road and area. The general speed limits are:
- 50 km/h (31 mph) in urban areas
- 90 km/h (56 mph) on rural roads
- 110 km/h (68 mph) on expressways
- 130 km/h (81 mph) on highways and motorways
However, some roads may have lower or higher speed limits indicated by signs. You should always check the signs and adjust your speed accordingly. You should also reduce your speed in bad weather conditions or when approaching hazards such as curves, intersections, or pedestrians. car rental zagreb
- Obey the traffic signs and signals: You should always obey the traffic signs and signals that regulate the flow of traffic and provide information and warnings. Some of the common traffic signs and signals are:
- Red light: You must stop before the stop line and wait until the light turns green.
- Green light: You may go if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have already started crossing.
- Yellow light: You must stop unless you are so close to the stop line that stopping would cause an accident.
- Flashing yellow light: You may go but you must slow down and proceed with caution. car rental zagreb
- Red arrow: You must stop and wait for the green arrow to turn in the direction indicated by the arrow.
- Green arrow: You may turn in the direction indicated by the arrow if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have priority.
- Flashing red light: You must stop and proceed only when it is safe to do so.
- Flashing yellow arrow: You may turn in the direction indicated by the arrow if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have priority.
- Stop sign: You must stop before the stop line or crosswalk and give way to traffic on the main road.
- Yield sign: You must slow down and give way to traffic on the main road or intersection.
- No turn sign: You must not turn in the direction indicated by the sign. car rental zagreb
- One way sign: You must only drive in the direction indicated by the sign.
- Wear a seat belt: You must wear a seat belt at all times when driving or riding in a car in Croatia. The driver is responsible for ensuring that all passengers wear a seat belt or an appropriate child restraint. The penalty for not wearing a seat belt is a fine of 500 kuna (about $75).
- Do not drink and drive: You must not drink and drive in Croatia as it is illegal and dangerous. The legal blood alcohol limit in Croatia is set at:
- 0.05% for drivers over 24 years old
- 0.00% for drivers under 24 years old
- 0.00% for professional drivers
If you are caught driving over the limit, you could face a fine, a driving suspension, or even imprisonment. The best advice is to avoid drinking any alcohol if you are planning to drive.
What are The Best Places To Visit By Car From Zagreb
Zagreb is a vibrant and historic city with many attractions to see and enjoy, such as Zagreb Cathedral, St Mark’s Church, Ban Jelačić Square, Mirogoj Cemetery, and more. However, if you want to explore more of Croatia’s stunning scenery and culture, renting a car can give you access to some of the best places to visit by car from Zagreb. Some of these places are: car rental zagreb
- Plitvice Lakes National Park: Plitvice Lakes National Park is one of Croatia’s most popular destinations, offering spectacular views of lakes, waterfalls, forests, and wildlife. You can drive along the D1 road, a scenic 130 km (81 mi) road that offers views of mountains, villages, and fields. You can also enjoy hiking, boating, or photography in the park. Plitvice Lakes National Park is about two hours drive from Zagreb via D1. car rental zagreb
- Rovinj: Rovinj is a charming coastal town and a popular tourist resort located on the Istrian peninsula. You can drive along the A1 and A8 roads, a scenic 250 km (155 mi) road that offers views of hills, valleys, and sea. You can also enjoy swimming, sailing, fishing, or sightseeing in Rovinj or nearby areas. Rovinj is about three hours drive from Zagreb via A1 and A8. car rental zagreb
- Split: Split is a historic and lively city and a gateway to the Dalmatian coast and islands. You can drive along the A1 road, a scenic 410 km (255 mi) road that offers views of mountains, lakes, and sea. You can also enjoy swimming, sailing, hiking, or sightseeing in Split or nearby areas. Split is about four hours drive from Zagreb via A1. car rental zagreb
- Dubrovnik: Dubrovnik is a stunning and historic city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site located on the southern tip of Croatia. You can drive along the A1 and D8 roads, a scenic 600 km (373 mi) road that offers views of mountains, islands, and sea. You can also enjoy swimming, kayaking, biking, or sightseeing in Dubrovnik or nearby areas. Dubrovnik is about six hours drive from Zagreb via A1 and D8. car rental zagreb
These are just some of the best places to visit by car from Zagreb. There are many more places to discover in Croatia that will make your trip unforgettable.
Conclusion car rental zagreb
Renting a car in Zagreb can be a great way to enjoy your visit to Croatia. You can compare and book car rental deals online in advance to save time and money. You can find and access the car rental locations in Zagreb at the airport or off-airport. You will need to present some documents and meet some requirements to rent a car. You should also follow the driving rules and regulations in Croatia to ensure a safe and smooth journey. And you can explore some of the best places to visit by car from Zagreb that will amaze you with their beauty and culture. car rental zagreb
We hope this blog post has been helpful for you. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. We wish you a wonderful trip to Croatia!