car rental inquiry ielts listening If you are preparing for the IELTS listening test, you may encounter a section about car rental inquiry. This is a common topic that tests your ability to listen for specific information, such as names, numbers, dates, prices, and preferences. In this blog post, we will explain how to prepare and ace the car rental inquiry IELTS listening section, and provide some tips and practice questions.
What is Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening?
Car rental inquiry IELTS listening is a section that usually appears in part 1 of the listening test. It involves a conversation between a customer and a car rental agent, who discuss the details of renting a car, such as the type of car, the duration, the price, the pick-up and drop-off locations, and any special requirements or options.
The conversation is followed by 10 questions that ask you to complete some notes or a form based on what you hear. You have to write one word and/or a number for each answer. The questions are in the same order as the information in the conversation.
How to Prepare for Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening?
To prepare for car rental inquiry IELTS listening, you need to familiarize yourself with the vocabulary and expressions related to car rental, such as:
- Car types: economy, compact, standard, full-size, SUV, van, etc.
- Car features: air conditioning, automatic transmission, GPS, etc.
- Car rental terms: booking confirmation, deposit, insurance, mileage, surcharge, etc.
- Car rental locations: airport, city center, hotel, etc.
You also need to practice your listening skills and strategies, such as:
- Predicting: Before you listen to the conversation, look at the questions and try to predict what kind of information you need to listen for. For example, if the question asks for a contact number, you can expect to hear some digits or a phone number format.
- Skimming: While you listen to the conversation, try to get the main idea and the general context of the car rental inquiry. For example, you can identify who the speakers are, where they are, and what they want to do.
- Scanning: While you listen to the conversation, try to focus on the specific information that matches the questions. For example, you can listen for keywords, numbers, dates, prices, or names that are relevant to the answers.
- Checking: After you listen to the conversation, check your answers and make sure they are correct and complete. For example, you can check the spelling, grammar, and punctuation of your answers.
How to Ace Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening?
To ace car rental inquiry IELTS listening, you need to apply your listening skills and strategies effectively and efficiently. Here are some tips to help you:
- Listen carefully: Pay attention to every word and detail in the conversation. Don’t miss any information or get distracted by background noise or other parts of the conversation.
- Write quickly: Write down your answers as soon as you hear them. Don’t waste time thinking or hesitating. Use abbreviations or symbols if necessary.
- Write clearly: Write your answers legibly and neatly. Don’t write too big or too small. Avoid crossing out or erasing your answers.
- Write accurately: Write your answers exactly as you hear them. Don’t change or add any information. Follow the word and number limit for each answer.
Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening Practice Questions
Here are some practice questions for car rental inquiry IELTS listening. You can listen to the audio and write down your answers. Then, you can check the answer key and transcript below.
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Car Rental Inquiry
Contact number: 1 ___________
Send written quote by: 2 ___________
Price for renting: $ 3 ___________ daily
Special requirements for the room:
- an extra 4 ___________
- most important facility: 5 ___________
- they should have a 6 ___________
- as well as a 7 ___________
Pick them up from the 8 ___________
The caravan driver’s age: 9 ___________
The registered licence issued in: 10 ___________
Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening Answer Key and Transcript
Here are the answer key and transcript for the car rental inquiry IELTS listening practice questions.
- 0419 6570 156
Man: Hello, First Choice Car Rental! How may I help you?
Woman: Oh, good morning. Um, I’m calling for some information about your car renting services.
Woman: I’m an Example American, and I will be going on a family holiday to your city from Ohio next month.
Man: OK. no problem. It’s our pleasure to serve you.
Man: Could you please tell me your name and contact information first?
Woman: I’m Carroline. C-A -R-O-L-I-N-E, and my telephone number is 0419 6570 156
Man: OK. I’ve got that. And how can I send you our quotation, if you are satisfied with our arrangement?
Man: Is email all right, or should I send it by post?
Woman: The latter, please! I’m afraid I’d prefer to read it on paper.
Man: That’s no problem.
Woman: I’m considering renting a caravan for a week, but I don’t really know the price range for it, since I haven’t rented any car through that method before.
Woman: I think it should be within my budget of $50.
Man: You know, we have various caravans at different renting prices, according to the class of vehicle, facilities inside, mileage, etc.
Man: I’d recommend the ‘Explorer’, taking your budget into consideration, which is of good value and will cost you $39 per day. Is that OK?
Woman: Of course, that’s fine for me! I know the ‘Explorer’.
Woman: That could save me $11 each day! You know a family holiday will be costly. That van is perfect!
Man: I’m glad that you like it. So do you have any particular requirements about your room in the van?
Woman: Um, how many beds are there?
Man: One twin bed.
Woman: But there are three of us, my mum, my daughter and me. So can we add another bed?
Man: No problem.
Woman: For the facilities, I think a kitchen is the most important, and of course the stove.
Man: In our vans, such as ‘Explorer’, there are all the basic bedding materials you need, like pillows and blankets, as well as some equipment for daily life.
Man: But if you want to have a stove or a fridge, you have to pay extra for them.
Woman: Oh, I see. Well, I think we need both of them. How much are they?
Man: The stove is $5 per day, and the fridge is $8 per day.
Woman: OK. That’s acceptable.
Man: All right. So where do you want us to pick you up?
Woman: We will arrive at the airport at 10 a.m. on July 15th. Can you pick us up there?
Man: Sure. We can do that.
Woman: And how old is the driver of the caravan?
Man: He is 25 years old.
Woman: And where did he get his licence?
Man: He got it in Ohio.
Woman: OK. That’s all I need to know for now. Thank you very much for your help.
Man: You’re welcome. Thank you for choosing First Choice Car Rental. Have a nice day.
Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you improve your score and performance in the car rental inquiry IELTS listening section.
- Listen to the introduction carefully: The introduction will give you some clues about the topic and the speakers of the conversation. For example, you may hear something like “You will hear a conversation between a customer and a car rental agent”. This will help you to predict what kind of information you need to listen for and what kind of questions you may face.
- Use the time before the conversation starts: You will have some time to look at the questions before the conversation starts. Use this time to read the questions carefully and understand what they are asking for. You can also underline or circle the keywords or numbers in the questions to help you focus on them while listening.
- Use the time between the questions: You will also have some time between the questions to check your answers and prepare for the next ones. Use this time to make sure your answers are correct and complete, and to look ahead at the next questions and predict what you need to listen for.
- Write down everything you hear: Don’t try to memorize or analyze what you hear. Just write down everything you hear that is relevant to the questions. You can use abbreviations or symbols if necessary, but make sure they are clear and understandable. You can also write down more than one word or number if you are not sure which one is correct, and then choose the best one later.
- Check your spelling and grammar: Spelling and grammar mistakes can cost you marks in the listening test. Make sure you spell every word correctly, especially names, places, or technical terms. Also, make sure you use the correct form of words, such as singular or plural, verb tense, or preposition. For example, if the question asks for a date, write it in the correct format, such as 15th July or July 15th.
Car Rental Inquiry IELTS Listening Practice Resources
Here are some resources that you can use to practice and improve your car rental inquiry IELTS listening skills.
- IELTSXpress: This website provides a variety of IELTS listening practice tests, including car rental inquiry topics. You can listen to the audio, answer the questions, and check the answer key and transcript. You can also download the PDF and audio files for free.
- YouTube: This platform has many videos that offer IELTS listening practice, such as this one. You can watch the video, listen to the audio, and write down your answers. You can also check the answer key and transcript in the description or comments section.
- Podcasts: This is another source of listening material that you can use to practice your car rental inquiry IELTS listening skills. You can find podcasts that talk about travel, tourism, or car rental topics, such as this one. You can listen to the podcast, take notes, and create your own questions based on what you hear.
Car rental inquiry IELTS listening is a common and useful topic that you may encounter in the listening test. It tests your ability to listen for specific information, such as names, numbers, dates, prices, and preferences. By following the steps and tips above, you can prepare and ace the car rental inquiry IELTS listening section, and achieve your desired score.