car rental anchorage If you are planning to visit Anchorage, the largest city and the gateway to Alaska, you might want to rent a car to explore the city and its surroundings. Anchorage is a vibrant and diverse city that offers a mix of urban and natural attractions, such as museums, parks, trails, wildlife, and glaciers.
In this blog post, we will provide you with a complete guide on how to rent a car in Anchorage, including:
- How to compare and book car rental deals online
- How to find and access the car rental locations in Anchorage
- What documents and requirements you need to rent a car
- What are the best car rental companies and tips to save money
- What are the driving rules and regulations in Alaska
- What are the best places to visit by car from Anchorage
How to Compare and Book Car Rental Deals Online car rental anchorage
One of the easiest and most convenient ways to rent a car in Anchorage is to book online in advance. This way, you can compare prices and features of different car rental companies, choose the best deal for your needs and budget, and avoid queues and hassle at the car rental location.
There are many websites that allow you to compare and book car rental deals online, such as:
These websites allow you to filter your search by car type, size, transmission, fuel policy, mileage limit, insurance coverage, customer rating, and more. You can also see photos and reviews of the cars and the companies. Some websites also offer discounts and free cancellation options. car rental anchorage
To book online, you will need to enter your travel dates, pick-up and drop-off locations, driver’s age, and payment method. You will then receive a confirmation email with your booking details and voucher. You will need to print or show this voucher at the car rental location when you arrive in Anchorage. car rental anchorage
How to Find and Access the Car Rental Locations in Anchorage
Once you arrive in Anchorage, you will need to find and access the car rental location to collect your car. There are two main options for this:
- At the airport: If you are flying to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC), you can rent a car at the airport itself. The airport has a dedicated facility for car rental services called Rental Car Center. To reach it, you will need to take a free shuttle bus that runs every 15 minutes from outside the baggage claim area on level 1 of both terminals. The shuttle bus will drop you off at the Rental Car Center where you can find 9 car rental companies: car rental anchorage
- Off-airport: If you prefer to rent a car from an off-airport location, you can find many options in downtown Anchorage or other areas of the city. To reach them, you will need to take a taxi, a bus, a train, or a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Lyft from the airport or your accommodation. Some of the off-airport car rental companies in Anchorage are:
- Ace Rent A Car
- Alaska Auto Rental
- Alaska Travel Adventures
- Midnight Sun Car & Van Rental
What Documents and Requirements You Need to Rent a Car
To rent a car in Anchorage, you will need to present some documents and meet some requirements at the car rental location. These include:
- A valid driver’s license: You will need to have a full and valid driver’s license from your country of residence that allows you to drive in the US. If your license is not in English, you may also need an international driving permit (IDP) or a certified translation. car rental anchorage
- A credit or debit card: You will need to have a credit or debit card in your name that has enough funds to cover the rental cost and deposit. The deposit amount varies depending on the car type and company, but it usually ranges from $100 to $500. The deposit will be blocked or charged on your card until you return the car in good condition. car rental anchorage
- A passport or ID card: You may also need to show a passport or ID card as proof of identity and age. The minimum age to rent a car in Anchorage is usually 21 years old, but some companies may have higher or lower age limits or charge extra fees for young or senior drivers. car rental anchorage
- A booking confirmation or voucher: If you have booked online in advance, you will need to show your booking confirmation or voucher that contains your reservation number and details. car rental anchorage
What are the Best Car Rental Companies and Tips to Save Money
There are many car rental companies that operate in Anchorage, offering a wide range of cars and services for different needs and budgets. Some of the best-rated companies according to customer reviews are:
- Alaska Auto Rental: Alaska Auto Rental is a local and independent car rental company that specializes in renting cars for Alaska’s unique conditions and destinations. Alaska Auto Rental offers a wide range of cars, including 4x4s, SUVs, trucks, vans, and more. Alaska Auto Rental also offers unlimited mileage, free additional drivers, free winter tires, free roof racks, free airport pick-up and drop-off, and 24/7 roadside assistance. car rental anchorage
- Midnight Sun Car & Van Rental: Midnight Sun Car & Van Rental is another local and independent car rental company that offers quality and affordable cars for Alaska’s adventures. Midnight Sun Car & Van Rental offers a variety of cars, including sedans, SUVs, minivans, cargo vans, and more. Midnight Sun Car & Van Rental also offers unlimited mileage, free additional drivers, free airport pick-up and drop-off, and 24/7 roadside assistance. car rental anchorage
- Enterprise: Enterprise is a well-known and reliable car rental company that operates worldwide. Enterprise offers a wide range of cars, including economy and compact models, luxury and premium models, SUVs and minivans, and more. Enterprise also offers free additional drivers, unlimited mileage, roadside assistance, and loyalty programs.
To save money when renting a car in Anchorage, here are some tips:
- Book online in advance: Booking online in advance can help you find better deals and avoid paying higher rates at the counter. You can also compare prices and features of different companies and choose the best option for your needs. car rental anchorage
- Avoid peak seasons: Renting a car during peak seasons such as summer or winter can be more expensive than renting during off-seasons. You can also avoid surcharges for high demand or limited availability.
- Choose a smaller car: Choosing a smaller car can help you save money on rental fees as well as fuel costs. Smaller cars are usually cheaper than larger cars and consume less gas. However, make sure that the car has enough space for your luggage and passengers. car rental anchorage
- Check the fuel policy: Checking the fuel policy before booking can help you avoid extra charges for refueling or returning the car with less fuel than when you picked it up. The most common fuel policies are:
- Full-to-full: You pick up the car with a full tank of gas and return it with a full tank of gas. This is usually the cheapest option as you only pay for what you use.
- Full-to-empty: You pick up the car with a full tank of gas and return it with an empty tank of gas. You pay for a full tank of gas upfront regardless of how much you use. This can be more expensive as you may not use all the gas or get refunded for unused gas. car rental anchorage
- Pre-purchase: You pay for a certain amount of gas upfront at a discounted rate and return the car with any amount of gas left. This can be convenient as you don’t have to worry about refueling before returning but it can also be wasteful if you don’t use all the gas.
What are Driving Rules And Regulations In Alaska car rental anchorage
Driving in Alaska can be an amazing experience as you can explore scenic routes, mountain views, wildlife, and glaciers by car. However, you should also be aware of the driving rules and regulations in Alaska to ensure a safe and smooth journey. Some of the main rules and regulations are:
- Drive on the right: In Alaska, as in the rest of the US, you must drive on the right side of the road and overtake on the left. You should also keep to the right lane on highways and interstates unless you are overtaking or turning left. car rental anchorage
- Follow the speed limits: The speed limits in Alaska are measured in miles per hour (mph) and vary depending on the type of road and area. The general speed limits are:
- 20 mph (32 km/h) in school zones
- 25 mph (40 km/h) in residential areas
- 45 mph (72 km/h) in urban areas
- 55 mph (88 km/h) on rural roads
- 65 mph (104 km/h) on highways
However, some roads may have lower or higher speed limits indicated by signs. You should always check the signs and adjust your speed accordingly. You should also reduce your speed in bad weather conditions or when approaching hazards such as curves, intersections, or animals. car rental anchorage
- Obey the traffic signs and signals: You should always obey the traffic signs and signals that regulate the flow of traffic and provide information and warnings. Some of the common traffic signs and signals are:
- Red light: You must stop before the stop line and wait until the light turns green. car rental anchorage
- Green light: You may go if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have already started crossing.
- Yellow light: You must stop unless you are so close to the stop line that stopping would cause an accident.
- Flashing yellow light: You may go but you must slow down and proceed with caution.
- Red arrow: You must stop and wait for the green arrow to turn in the direction indicated by the arrow.
- Green arrow: You may turn in the direction indicated by the arrow if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have priority.
- Flashing red light: You must stop and proceed only when it is safe to do so.
- Flashing yellow arrow: You may turn in the direction indicated by the arrow if the way is clear but you must yield to pedestrians or vehicles that have priority.
- Stop sign: You must stop before the stop line or crosswalk and give way to traffic on the main road.
- Yield sign: You must slow down and give way to traffic on the main road or intersection.
- No turn sign: You must not turn in the direction indicated by the sign.
- One way sign: You must only drive in the direction indicated by the sign.
- Wear a seat belt: You must wear a seat belt at all times when driving or riding in a car in Alaska. The driver is responsible for ensuring that all passengers wear a seat belt or an appropriate child restraint. The penalty for not wearing a seat belt is a fine of $15. car rental anchorage
- Do not drink and drive: You must not drink and drive in Alaska as it is illegal and dangerous. The legal blood alcohol limit in Alaska is set at:
- 0.08% for drivers over 21 years old
- 0.04% for commercial drivers
- 0.00% for drivers under 21 years old
If you are caught driving over the limit, you could face a fine, a driving suspension, or even imprisonment. The best advice is to avoid drinking any alcohol if you are planning to drive.
What are The Best Places To Visit By Car From Anchorage car rental anchorage
Anchorage is a vibrant and diverse city with many attractions to see and enjoy, such as Anchorage Museum, Alaska Native Heritage Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, and more. However, if you want to explore more of Alaska’s stunning scenery and culture, renting a car can give you access to some of the best places to visit by car from Anchorage. Some of these places are:
- Denali National Park and Preserve: Denali National Park and Preserve is one of Alaska’s most popular destinations, offering spectacular views of mountains, glaciers, forests, and wildlife. You can drive along the Denali Park Road, a 92-mile (148 km) road that offers panoramic views of the park and the majestic Denali (formerly Mount McKinley), the highest peak in North America. You can also enjoy hiking, camping, wildlife watching, or bus tours in the park. Denali National Park and Preserve is about four hours drive from Anchorage via AK-3 N. car rental anchorage
- Seward: Seward is a charming coastal town and a gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park. You can drive along the Seward Highway, a scenic 127-mile (204 km) road that follows the Turnagain Arm and offers views of mountains, waterfalls, lakes, and wildlife. You can also enjoy boating, fishing, kayaking, or glacier tours in Seward or Kenai Fjords National Park. Seward is about two and a half hours drive from Anchorage via AK-1 S. car rental anchorage
- Talkeetna: Talkeetna is a quaint and quirky town that serves as a base for mountaineering expeditions to Denali. You can drive along the Parks Highway, a scenic 113-mile (182 km) road that offers views of mountains, rivers, and forests. You can also enjoy hiking, biking, rafting, or flightseeing in Talkeetna or nearby areas. Talkeetna is about two hours drive from Anchorage via AK-3 N. car rental anchorage
- Homer: Homer is a picturesque town and a haven for artists, fishermen, and nature lovers. You can drive along the Sterling Highway, a scenic 222-mile (357 km) road that offers views of mountains, volcanoes, lakes, and wildlife. You can also enjoy fishing, kayaking, hiking, or bear viewing in Homer or nearby areas. Homer is about four and a half hours drive from Anchorage via AK-1 S. car rental anchorage
These are just some of the best places to visit by car from Anchorage. There are many more places to discover in Alaska that will make your trip unforgettable.
Conclusion car rental anchorage
Renting a car in Anchorage can be a great way to enjoy your visit to Alaska. You can compare and book car rental deals online in advance to save time and money. You can find and access the car rental locations in Anchorage at the airport or off-airport. You will need to present some documents and meet some requirements to rent a car. You should also follow the driving rules and regulations in Alaska to ensure a safe and smooth journey. And you can explore some of the best places to visit by car from Anchorage that will amaze you with their beauty and culture. car rental anchorage
We hope this blog post has been helpful for you. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. We wish you a wonderful trip to Alaska!