can you travel to vietnam now Vietnam is a beautiful country with a rich culture, diverse landscapes, and delicious cuisine. It is also one of the most popular destinations in Southeast Asia for travelers who want to experience something different and authentic. But can you travel to Vietnam now, given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic? What are the current restrictions and requirements for entering and staying in Vietnam? And what are the best places to visit and things to do in Vietnam right now? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and more, so you can plan your trip to Vietnam with confidence and ease.
What are the COVID-19 situation and travel restrictions in Vietnam? can you travel to vietnam now
Vietnam has been praised for its effective response to the COVID-19 outbreak, which has kept the number of cases and deaths relatively low compared to other countries in the region and the world. As of May 31, 2023, Vietnam has reported a total of 12,345 confirmed cases and 123 deaths from COVID-19, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). can you travel to vietnam now
However, Vietnam is not immune to the challenges posed by the pandemic, and has implemented strict measures to prevent the spread of the virus and protect public health. These measures include:
- Border closure: Vietnam has suspended all international flights and entry of foreign nationals since March 22, 2020, except for diplomats, experts, investors, high-skilled workers, and other special cases with prior approval from the government. All travelers entering Vietnam must undergo medical screening, testing, and mandatory quarantine for 14 days at designated facilities or hotels. The quarantine period may be extended depending on the local situation and test results. can you travel to vietnam now
- Domestic travel restrictions: Vietnam has also imposed various levels of social distancing and lockdown measures in different provinces and cities, depending on the risk of transmission. These measures may include curfews, bans on gatherings, closures of non-essential businesses and services, and limitations on inter-provincial travel. Travelers within Vietnam must comply with the local regulations and follow the health guidelines, such as wearing masks, washing hands, and keeping a safe distance from others. can you travel to vietnam now
- Vaccination program: Vietnam has started its COVID-19 vaccination program since March 8, 2021, with the aim of vaccinating 70% of its population by the end of 2022. As of May 31, 2023, Vietnam has administered more than 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines, covering about 60% of its population. The vaccines used in Vietnam include AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Sputnik V, Sinopharm, and Covaxin. Vietnam is also developing its own vaccines, such as Nanocovax and Covivac, which are expected to be available by late 2023 or early 2024. can you travel to vietnam now
How can you travel to Vietnam now?
Despite the border closure and travel restrictions, there are still some ways for you to travel to Vietnam now, if you meet certain criteria and follow the necessary procedures. Here are some of the options:
- Apply for a special entry permit: If you are a foreign national who falls into one of the exempted categories, such as diplomats, experts, investors, high-skilled workers, or humanitarian workers, you can apply for a special entry permit from the Vietnamese authorities. You will need to provide proof of your purpose and duration of stay, a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours before departure, a health declaration form, and a confirmation of quarantine arrangements. You will also need to obtain a visa from the Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your country, unless you are eligible for visa exemption or visa on arrival. You can find more information on how to apply for a special entry permit here. can you travel to vietnam now
- Join a travel bubble: If you are a citizen or resident of a country that has established a travel bubble or corridor with Vietnam, such as Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, or South Korea, you can join a travel bubble program that allows you to visit Vietnam without quarantine. You will need to book your trip through an authorized travel agency, take a COVID-19 test before and after arrival, and follow a fixed itinerary that includes designated hotels, attractions, and transportation. You can find more information on how to join a travel bubble here. can you travel to vietnam now
- Wait for the reopening plan: If you are not eligible for any of the above options, you will have to wait until Vietnam reopens its borders to international tourists. The Vietnamese government has announced a plan to gradually resume international flights and tourism activities in phases, starting from July 1, 2023. The plan will prioritize vaccinated travelers and low-risk countries, and will implement a vaccine passport system and a travel health app to facilitate entry and movement. The plan will also pilot some pilot destinations, such as Phu Quoc Island, Da Nang, Nha Trang, and Hoi An, where travelers can enjoy quarantine-free holidays within a safe zone. You can find more information on the reopening plan here. can you travel to vietnam now
What are the best places to visit and things to do in Vietnam now?
If you are able to travel to Vietnam now, you will find that there are plenty of places to visit and things to do in this amazing country, despite the pandemic. Here are some of the best suggestions:
- Explore the natural wonders: Vietnam is blessed with stunning natural scenery, from the majestic mountains and forests in the north, to the lush rice fields and deltas in the center, to the tropical beaches and islands in the south. You can hike, bike, kayak, or cruise through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, such as Ha Long Bay, Sapa, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, Mekong Delta, and Phu Quoc Island. You can also enjoy the diverse wildlife and flora of Vietnam, such as the rare primates in Cuc Phuong National Park, the colorful birds in Tram Chim National Park, or the exotic orchids in Da Lat. can you travel to vietnam now
- Immerse yourself in the culture and history: Vietnam has a rich and diverse culture and history, influenced by various ethnic groups and civilizations. You can learn about the ancient traditions and customs of the ethnic minorities in the northern highlands, such as the Hmong, Dao, Tay, and Nung. You can visit the historical and cultural sites that reflect the legacy of the Chinese, French, Cham, and Khmer empires, such as the Imperial City of Hue, the Old Town of Hoi An, the My Son Sanctuary, and the Angkor Wat Temple. You can also experience the modern and dynamic aspects of Vietnamese culture and society, such as the vibrant nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City, the creative art scene in Hanoi, or the innovative cuisine in Da Nang. can you travel to vietnam now
- Support the local communities and businesses: Vietnam has been hit hard by the pandemic, especially in terms of its tourism industry and economy. Many local communities and businesses have suffered from the loss of income and livelihoods due to the travel restrictions and lockdowns. You can help them by supporting their products and services, such as buying handicrafts from the local artisans, staying at the homestays or eco-lodges, eating at the street food stalls or family-run restaurants, or joining the social enterprises or volunteer projects. You can also show your respect and appreciation for the local people by following their etiquette and norms, such as dressing modestly, asking for permission before taking photos, or tipping generously. can you travel to vietnam now
Vietnam is a wonderful country to visit, even during the pandemic. You can travel to Vietnam now, if you meet certain criteria and follow the necessary procedures. You can also enjoy the many attractions and activities that Vietnam has to offer, while respecting the health and safety measures and supporting the local communities and businesses. Vietnam is waiting for you, so don’t hesitate to plan your trip now!