camper van rental iceland If you are looking for a unique and adventurous way to explore Iceland, renting a camper van might be the perfect option for you. A camper van is a vehicle that combines transportation and accommodation, allowing you to travel at your own pace and sleep wherever you want. In this blog post, we will give you a complete guide on how to rent a camper van in Iceland, including the benefits, the costs, the tips and the best places to visit.
Why Rent a Camper Van in Iceland?
There are many reasons why renting a camper van in Iceland is a great idea. Here are some of them:
- Freedom and flexibility: With a camper van, you can create your own itinerary and change it as you go. You don’t have to worry about booking hotels or campsites in advance, or sticking to a fixed schedule. You can stop whenever you want, whether it’s to admire the scenery, take photos, hike, swim or relax.
- Comfort and convenience: A camper van provides you with everything you need for a comfortable stay. You have a cozy bed, a kitchen, a fridge, a heater and sometimes even a toilet and a shower. You can cook your own meals, store your food and drinks, and keep warm at night. You also have plenty of storage space for your luggage and gear. camper van rental iceland
- Cost-effectiveness: Renting a camper van can save you money in the long run. You don’t have to pay for hotels or campsites, which can be expensive in Iceland. You also save on food costs by cooking your own meals. And since you have your own transportation, you don’t have to pay for buses or tours.
- Adventure and fun: Renting a camper van allows you to experience Iceland in a more authentic and exciting way. You can get closer to nature, see more of the country and discover hidden gems that are off the beaten path. You can also enjoy the thrill of driving on different terrains and roads, and the challenge of finding the best spots to park and sleep. camper van rental iceland
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Camper Van in Iceland?
The cost of renting a camper van in Iceland depends on several factors, such as the type of vehicle, the season, the duration and the extras. Generally speaking, the prices range from 100 EUR to 300 EUR per day, depending on the size and quality of the camper van. The cheapest option is usually a small 2-person van with basic amenities, while the most expensive option is usually a large 4-person van with luxury features. camper van rental iceland
Some of the things that affect the price are:
- Season: The high season in Iceland is from June to August, when the weather is warmer and the days are longer. This is also when the demand for camper vans is higher, so the prices are higher as well. The low season is from October to April, when the weather is colder and the days are shorter. This is when you can find lower prices and more availability for camper vans. camper van rental iceland
- Duration: The longer you rent a camper van, the cheaper it gets per day. Most rental companies offer discounts for longer rentals, such as weekly or monthly rates. However, keep in mind that there may be a minimum rental period required, usually 3 or 4 days.
- Extras: Some rental companies include extras in their prices, such as insurance, unlimited mileage, GPS navigation, WiFi hotspot or camping equipment. Others charge extra fees for these services or items. Make sure to check what is included and what is not before booking your camper van. camper van rental iceland
How to Rent a Camper Van in Iceland?
Renting a camper van in Iceland is easy and convenient. There are many rental companies that offer different types of vehicles and services. You can book your camper van online or by phone, or visit their offices in person. Here are some steps to follow when renting a camper van in Iceland:
- Do your research: Compare different rental companies and their offers. Look at their websites, read their reviews and contact them if you have any questions. Some of the most popular rental companies in Iceland are CampEasy, Happy Campers, Kuku Campers and Go Campers. camper van rental iceland
- Choose your vehicle: Decide what kind of camper van suits your needs and preferences. Consider how many people you are traveling with, how much space and comfort you want, what amenities you need and what budget you have. camper van rental iceland
- Book your vehicle: Once you have chosen your vehicle, make your reservation online or by phone. You will need to provide some personal information, such as your name, email address, phone number and credit card details. You will also need to choose your pick-up and drop-off dates and locations, and select any extras you want. camper van rental iceland
- Pick up your vehicle: On the day of your arrival, you can pick up your camper van from the rental company’s office or from the airport. You will need to show your driver’s license, passport and credit card, and sign a rental agreement. The rental company will give you a brief introduction to the vehicle and its features, and answer any questions you may have.
- Enjoy your trip: Once you have your camper van, you are ready to hit the road and explore Iceland. Make sure to follow the traffic rules, respect the environment and have fun. camper van rental iceland
What to Know Before Renting a Camper Van in Iceland?
Renting a camper van in Iceland is a wonderful experience, but it also comes with some responsibilities and challenges. Here are some things to know before renting a camper van in Iceland:
- Driving license: You need to have a valid driver’s license from your home country or an international driving permit to rent and drive a camper van in Iceland. You also need to be at least 20 years old for most vehicles, and 25 years old for some larger or more powerful ones.
- Driving conditions: Driving in Iceland can be tricky and unpredictable, especially in winter or in remote areas. You may encounter gravel roads, narrow bridges, blind curves, steep hills, strong winds, snow, ice, fog or darkness. You need to drive carefully and cautiously, and adjust your speed and distance according to the weather and road conditions. You also need to check the road conditions and weather forecast regularly, and avoid driving in unsafe situations. camper van rental iceland
- Parking and camping: You can park your camper van anywhere that is not prohibited by signs or laws, such as private property, nature reserves or urban areas. However, you cannot camp anywhere you want. You need to find a designated campsite or a camping area that allows overnight stays. There are over 200 campsites in Iceland that offer various facilities and services, such as toilets, showers, electricity, WiFi or laundry. You can find them on maps or apps, such as Camping Iceland or Camping Card. camper van rental iceland
- Fuel and water: You need to fill up your camper van with fuel regularly, as gas stations can be scarce in some parts of the country. You also need to refill your water tank with fresh water every few days, as you will use it for drinking, cooking and washing. You can find water taps at gas stations, campsites or public places, such as swimming pools or rest areas. camper van rental iceland
- Waste disposal: You need to dispose of your waste properly and responsibly, as leaving it behind can harm the environment and wildlife. You need to empty your toilet cassette at designated dumping stations, which are usually located at gas stations or campsites. You also need to throw away your garbage at trash bins or recycling stations, which are also available at gas stations or campsites. camper van rental iceland
What are the Best Places to Visit with a Camper Van in Iceland?
Iceland is full of amazing places to visit with a camper van. You can see stunning natural wonders, such as volcanoes, glaciers, waterfalls, geysers, hot springs, lakes or fjords. You can also explore charming towns and villages, rich cultural heritage and vibrant nightlife. Here are some of the best places to visit with a camper van in Iceland:
- The Golden Circle: This is one of the most popular routes in Iceland that covers three iconic attractions: Thingvellir National Park, where you can see the rift between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates; Geysir geothermal area, where you can witness the eruption of the famous Strokkur geyser; and Gullfoss waterfall, where you can admire the power and beauty of the glacial river Hvítá. camper van rental iceland
- The Ring Road: This is the main road that circles around the island and connects most of the major towns and attractions. It is about 1,300 km long and takes about a week to complete. Along the way, you can see many amazing sights, such as Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss waterfalls; Reynisfjara black sand beach; Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon; Dettifoss waterfall; Lake Mývatn; Akureyri; Snæfellsnes peninsula; Reykjavík; and more. camper van rental iceland
- The Westfjords: This is a remote and rugged region in the northwest of Iceland that offers stunning scenery and wildlife. It is less visited than other parts of the country but well worth the trip. Here you can see dramatic cliffs and mountains; deep fjords and bays; isolated beaches and islands; bird colonies and seal colonies; natural hot pools; historic fishing villages; museums; art galleries; festivals; etc. camper van rental iceland
- The Highlands: This is an uninhabited and wild area in the interior of Iceland that is only accessible by 4×4 vehicles and during the summer months. It is a paradise for adventurers and nature lovers who want to experience the raw and untouched beauty of Iceland. Here you can see vast lava fields; colorful rhyolite mountains; glacial rivers and lakes; geothermal springs and mud pools; volcanoes and glaciers; waterfalls and canyons; etc. camper van rental iceland
- The Eastfjords: This is a scenic and tranquil region in the east of Iceland that is known for its natural and cultural diversity. It is home to some of the oldest and most charming towns in Iceland, as well as some of the most diverse wildlife and landscapes. Here you can see steep fjords and valleys; verdant forests and farmlands; sandy beaches and rocky shores; puffins and reindeer; museums and art galleries; festivals and events; etc. camper van rental iceland
- The South Coast: This is one of the most visited and varied regions in Iceland that offers something for everyone. It is a land of contrasts, where you can see fire and ice, green and black, old and new. Here you can see Eyjafjallajökull volcano that erupted in 2010; Vatnajökull National Park that hosts Europe’s largest glacier; Skaftafell Nature Reserve that offers hiking trails and glacier tours; Vík that is the southernmost village in Iceland; etc. camper van rental iceland
Renting a camper van in Iceland is a fantastic way to explore this amazing country. It gives you the freedom, comfort, cost-effectiveness, adventure and fun that you are looking for. It also allows you to see more of Iceland’s natural wonders, cultural heritage and hidden gems. However, renting a camper van also requires some preparation, responsibility and awareness. You need to choose the right vehicle, book it in advance, pick it up and drop it off, drive safely and cautiously, park and camp legally and ethically, fill up your fuel and water tanks, dispose of your waste properly, etc. By following these tips and guidelines, you can have a smooth and enjoyable camper van rental experience in Iceland. camper van rental iceland
Here are some possible titles for the blog post:
- How to Rent a Camper Van in Iceland: The Ultimate Guide
- Everything You Need to Know About Camper Van Rental in Iceland
- Camper Van Rental in Iceland: Tips, Tricks and Best Places to Visit
- Why You Should Rent a Camper Van in Iceland (And How to Do It)
- Renting a Camper Van in Iceland: A Dream Come True