Ben Tre If you are looking for a peaceful and green escape from the busy and noisy city life, you might want to consider visiting Ben Tre, the coconut capital of Vietnam. Ben Tre is a province in the Mekong Delta region of southern Vietnam, located about 85 kilometers (53 miles) southwest of Ho Chi Minh City. Ben Tre is famous for its abundant coconut production, as well as its natural beauty, cultural diversity, and historical significance.
In this blog post, we will show you why you should visit Ben Tre, and what are some of the best things to do and see in this charming province.
Enjoy the Scenic Boat Ride along the Coconut Canals
One of the best ways to explore Ben Tre is by taking a scenic boat ride along the coconut canals. These are the narrow waterways that run through the coconut plantations and villages, offering a glimpse of the rural life and scenery of Ben Tre. You can see the locals harvesting coconuts, making coconut products, fishing, or transporting goods by boat. You can also admire the lush greenery, the colorful flowers, and the exotic birds along the way.
You can book a boat tour from Ben Tre town or from some of the nearby islands such as Tan Quy or Phung. The boat tour usually lasts for a few hours and includes stops at some of the attractions or activities that we will mention below.
Learn How to Make Coconut Products at a Coconut Workshop
Another reason to visit Ben Tre is to learn how to make coconut products at a coconut workshop. Ben Tre is known for its variety of coconut products, such as coconut candy, coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut wine, coconut vinegar, and more. These products are made from different parts of the coconut, such as the flesh, the water, the shell, or the husk.
You can visit a coconut workshop and see how these products are made by hand using traditional methods and tools. You can also try your hand at making some of them yourself, such as peeling a coconut, grating a coconut, or wrapping a coconut candy. You can also taste some of the fresh and delicious coconut products and buy some as souvenirs.
Visit the Historical Sites Related to the Dong Khoi Movement
A third reason to visit Ben Tre is to visit the historical sites related to the Dong Khoi movement. The Dong Khoi movement was a spontaneous uprising against the South Vietnamese government and its American allies in 1960. It started in Ben Tre and spread to other provinces in the Mekong Delta. The movement was led by local peasants and guerrillas who wanted to overthrow the oppressive regime and reunite Vietnam.
You can visit some of the historical sites related to the Dong Khoi movement in Ben Tre, such as:
- The Dong Khoi Museum: This is a museum that displays photos, documents, weapons, and artifacts related to the Dong Khoi movement. It also tells the stories of some of the heroes and martyrs of the movement.
- The Dinh Thuy Communal House: This is a communal house that served as a secret base for the Dong Khoi movement. It was where Nguyen Thi Dinh, the female leader of the movement, held meetings and planned attacks.
- The Mo Cay Tunnel: This is a tunnel that was dug by the Dong Khoi guerrillas to hide from the enemy forces. It was also where they stored weapons and supplies.
Explore the Natural Attractions and Wildlife Reserves
A fourth reason to visit Ben Tre is to explore the natural attractions and wildlife reserves. Ben Tre has a rich and diverse natural environment, with rivers, canals, islands, forests, and wetlands. It is home to many species of plants, animals, and birds, some of which are rare or endangered.
You can explore the natural attractions and wildlife reserves in Ben Tre, such as:
- The Vam Ho Bird Sanctuary: This is a bird sanctuary that covers an area of about 1,500 hectares (3,700 acres). It has more than 80 species of birds, such as storks, herons, pelicans, and cormorants. It also has mangrove forests, bamboo groves, and lotus ponds.
- The Con Phung Island: This is an island that is shaped like a phoenix. It has a tropical fruit orchard, a coconut handicraft village, and a Buddhist temple. It also has a crocodile farm, a monkey garden, and a snake show.
- The Tan Thanh Beach: This is a beach that is located about 50 kilometers (31 miles) from Ben Tre town. It has a long and sandy coastline, a clear and blue sea, and a fresh and breezy atmosphere. It also has some seafood restaurants, resorts, and campsites.
Experience the Local Culture and Cuisine
A fifth reason to visit Ben Tre is to experience the local culture and cuisine. Ben Tre has a rich and diverse culture, with influences from the Khmer, the Chinese, and the Vietnamese. It has many festivals, traditions, and customs that reflect its history and identity.
You can experience the local culture and cuisine in Ben Tre, such as:
- The Coconut Festival: This is a festival that is held every two years in April or May. It celebrates the coconut industry and culture of Ben Tre. It features a coconut parade, a coconut fair, a coconut contest, and a coconut carnival.
- The Nghinh Ong Festival: This is a festival that is held every year in August or September. It honors the Whale God and the fishermen of Ben Tre. It features a whale worship ceremony, a boat race, a dragon dance, and a lantern release.
- The Ben Tre Cuisine: This is the cuisine that is based on the coconut and the seafood of Ben Tre. It includes dishes such as coconut rice, coconut soup, coconut cake, coconut candy, grilled fish, sour soup, spring rolls, and more.
In conclusion, Ben Tre is a province that has a lot to offer for visitors who want to enjoy a peaceful and green escape from the city life. Ben Tre has a scenic boat ride along the coconut canals, a coconut workshop where you can learn how to make coconut products, historical sites related to the Dong Khoi movement, natural attractions and wildlife reserves, and local culture and cuisine.
If you are interested in visiting Ben Tre, you can browse our website for some of the best deals and offers on various tours and packages. You can also contact us for any questions or inquiries about our services and products. We hope to hear from you soon!