Banh mi xiu mai is a popular Vietnamese sandwich that consists of a crusty baguette filled with juicy pork meatballs in a savory tomato sauce. It is a fusion of Vietnamese, Chinese, and French influences, and it is a satisfying and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
In this blog post, we will show you how to make banh mi xiu mai at home, and what are some of the tips and tricks to make it even more delicious.
What is Banh Mi Xiu Mai?
Banh mi xiu mai is a type of banh mi, which is a Vietnamese word for bread or baguette. Banh mi sandwiches are very popular in Vietnam and around the world, and they usually consist of a baguette that is split open and stuffed with various fillings, such as pate, ham, cheese, pickled vegetables, herbs, and sauces.
Xiu mai is a Vietnamese word for meatballs, which are derived from the Cantonese dish siu mai or shumai. Xiu mai are usually made with ground pork that is seasoned with fish sauce, garlic, pepper, scallions, and jicama. Jicama is a crunchy root vegetable that adds moisture and texture to the meatballs. Xiu mai are usually steamed or fried before being simmered in a tomato sauce that is flavored with fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar.
Banh mi xiu mai is a combination of banh mi and xiu mai. It is a specialty of southern Vietnam, especially in Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City. It is often sold by street vendors or at small eateries called quan an. It is usually served with a small bowl of broth on the side, which can be used to dip the bread or to drink as a soup.
How to Make Banh Mi Xiu Mai at Home?
Making banh mi xiu mai at home is not difficult, but it does require some preparation and cooking time. Here are the main steps to make banh mi xiu mai at home:
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine ground pork, corn starch, fish sauce, garlic, pepper, scallions, and jicama. Mix well and knead for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth and sticky. Shape the mixture into small balls (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each) and place them on a baking sheet. You should have about 20 meatballs.
- Steam the meatballs: In a large pot or steamer, bring some water to a boil. Place the meatballs on a steaming rack or basket and steam them for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Make the tomato sauce: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat some oil and fry some minced garlic until fragrant. Add some diced tomatoes and cook until soft. Add some tomato paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, water, and corn starch slurry (a mixture of corn starch and water). Bring the sauce to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce: Transfer the steamed meatballs to the skillet with the tomato sauce and toss to coat them well. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and glossy.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Cut some baguettes into halves or thirds (depending on their size) and split them open. Spread some pate on one side of each baguette (optional). Spoon some meatballs and sauce over the pate. Top with some pickled carrots and daikon (do chua), sliced cucumber, cilantro leaves, and chili peppers (optional). Close the sandwiches and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Make Banh Mi Xiu Mai Even More Delicious
Here are some tips and tricks to make banh mi xiu mai even more delicious:
- Use fresh and good quality ingredients: Choose fresh ground pork that has some fat for juiciness. Use ripe tomatoes that have a sweet and tangy flavor. Use fresh herbs that add aroma and freshness.
- Toast the baguettes before assembling: Toasting the baguettes will make them more crispy and prevent them from getting soggy from the sauce. You can toast them in the oven or on a skillet over medium heat until lightly golden and crisp.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste: You can adjust the amount of fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and chili peppers to your taste. You can also add some salt or pepper if needed. You can also add some ketchup or tomato sauce to the tomato sauce for a sweeter and richer flavor.
- Make ahead and reheat: You can make the meatballs and the sauce ahead of time and store them in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then microwave or simmer them until hot. Assemble the sandwiches when ready to serve.
Banh mi xiu mai is a delicious Vietnamese sandwich that is easy to make at home. It is a great way to enjoy the fusion of Vietnamese, Chinese, and French cuisines. It is also a satisfying and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed for any meal of the day.
If you are interested in making banh mi xiu mai at home, you can follow our recipe and tips above. You can also browse our website for more Vietnamese recipes and dishes. You can also contact us for any questions or feedback about our services and products. We hope to hear from you soon!